Can't read vacuum for 66 Dart

-

shotgunvic64

Reaction score
I'm trying to read the vacuum on my Carter 1 barrel on a 225 but get nothing. I put the gauge to the distributor port since that's the only spot on the Carter. I want to know if I can't do it on a Carter or if something might be up with the carb because the idle is kinda rough too but that could be the old points. Anyway does anybody know what I should do to read the vacuum? Thanks

1524334517750858274014.jpg

looks like there is a open port in the back of the intake runner, no plug, no fitting,?
Also EGR block off plate has to be a good seal or it will leak vacuum.

Yea the last one, It's hard to see in the picture but it looks like a open hole.
That would be a good place to get a vacuum reading. If it's low I would check that block off plate under the carb.

The carb port is undoubtedly "ported vacuum" which has no vacuum at idle. The vacuum increases to a point as the carb is opened, then drops off again under hard throttle/ hard pulling/ acceleration. This is strictly for the distributor advance

My 67 273 Barracuda had a factory vacuum gauge and it was plumbed into a port on the intake near the distributor. The fitting looked like a pipe plug with a short piece of tubing and the hose just slipped onto that. (Similar to the vac advance hose on the distributor) The guys are correct about ported vac on the carb and the port in #6 intake runner.

I had a 68 Dart with a 273 and it had that too. The little hose went into the firewall I think. Its funny because we took the motor out one time and fired it up when we put it back in and that fitting wasnt in but just resting and there was a pop and it shot up and surprised us lol

-
Back