Can't stop my master cyl. from leaking

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a brand new master cylinder on my car, no power brakes. The system has been bled and works fine, however, every time im done driving there is fluid seeping out of the caps on the reservoir, sometimes quite a large amount.

This was happening with the reservoir it came with, so i figured the caps were junk. I switched to another reservoir that i had from the same type of vehicle (both masters are from a late 70's fifth ave if i remeber correctly)....well, same thing, just not as bad...fluid comes out of the caps after a long drive

I dont have too much fluid in there, i know it because ive tried taking some out and it does the same thing...Yes, sometimes i do have to really stand on the brakes, but i dont think that should be a reason for fluid to ooze out...heck, i havent even used my linelock in over 3 months because im kinda afraid the pressure is gonna shoot the fluid through the caps and up onto the backside of my hood

so i ask, any ideas what might be causing this? because im all out of them:munky2:

I'm having the same problem with my 4 wheel drum car and a friend suggested that maybe the adjusters arent working properly, so when the brakes are not being applied, the wheel cylinders are forced to retract too far from the spring pressure, thus forcing fluid up and eventually out of the master cylinder. I havent been able to investigate yet, but it sounded like a good possibility that may be whats happening. If anyone else has ideas, please chime in.

The adjuster thing does sound possible, but im using discs in the front

If i remember correctly im running prestone DOT 4 brake fluid

A buddy of mine with his roadrunner was having similar problem only his was internally pushing the fluid from the rear resevior to the front and out from under the cover. He ended up ordering a new not remanufactured master cylinder from Rockauto and so far so good.

A buddy of mine with his roadrunner was having similar problem only his was internally pushing the fluid from the rear resevior to the front and out from under the cover. He ended up ordering a new not remanufactured master cylinder from Rockauto and so far so good.

yea mine is a remanufactured one, but heck its supposed to be like new

If its not the reservoir, i have no idea what it could be

I've had a lot of bad luck with reman units from time to time, I've gone thru four starters on my mild compression small block, alternators, and had to replace my master cylinder twice already. It's always possible.

have had good luck with rebuilt stuff up until now...have a rebuilt starter that works okay, and alternators too...dont know whats up with this thing, and i kinda dont want to buy a brand new one since this is brand new (well reman new i guess) and supposed to work...im out 40 bucks now

anyone else have any ideas what might be causing this?

thanks all!

-
Back