Captainkirk's Duster project

-
We come here, I suppose, to update you with our tales of progress and prowess of the motor kind. I enjoy reading all the threads from around the country and seeing your individual challenges and triumphs. We share them proudly and willingly and always hope that our Progress Today will be Your Inspiration tomorrow. Well, at least I do...
And that's why it pains me to tell you....I got nothin'.......
Nothin' but snow and ice and more dead mice. The poor little bastards would rather risk getting their furry gray bodies cloven in two for a scrap of hard frozen bologna than risk the inclement weather outside. I have, to be clear, peeked in on both the seemingly busy Victor and The Duke; The Victor being the only happenin' hotspot in this particular cow-town. The Duke is definitely in hibernation, and quite frankly, so is my desire to go out and get Really Cold And Dirty. Like Geo. Washington; I cannot tell a lie. Somehow I don't hear the echos of Bruce or the Big Man out in that frigid no man's land in the winter. But I will admit to having a grand ol' time perched in my easy chair with a glass of wine or a cold brew digging through my Year One and Classic Industries catalogs; yes I do. It gives me hope and inspiration and anticipation of the summer to come, and leaves me to wonder if I will surprise myself as much as I did this magical summer past. Oh, and it also gives me time to write smarmy **** like this as well.....:D

AHahahahahahah! nice!

And you were coming here to see what the Cap'n has been up to on The Duke....:poke:

Not a damn thing, my friends. The only action going on out in the frozen hinterland is some hot action with the old Victor mouse converter....busy converting warm, furry bodies into cold, lifeless stiff corpses.:wack: Not that I enjoy this; it's a fact of life, is all. Mice and cars, classic cars especially, don't mix. On a more cheery note, I did receive my very first royalty check from my book about The Duke; a whopping three dollars and eighty-nine cents.....selling like hotcakes, they are! Family and friends can only go so far.....:goodman:

But in the mean time, I'm keeping the ol' Inspiration-O-Meter pegged by browsing the forum here, and living vicariously through YOUR projects. I realize that's kinda twisted, but that's the way it is. :wack:

Winter has been hell here so far in the midwest; early snow, followed by the lowest deep-freeze in 3 decades; 20 below zero WITHOUT wind chill, which converted to -44 when they did pick up.....through it all, my Mighty Dakota fired up and kept me mobile when none of the other family vehicles would budge. Boo-ya! That ol' 318 Magnum now has clocked 230k!!! Once the weather breaks some, I am predicting both an early spring, and an early rock 'n roll date for getting back on The Duke, so I'm relaxing and enjoying my winter hiatus while I can.

My Duster Kid, Chris, (Dusterman79) through all this nasty weather, blew the rear end out in his Chevy S10 truck and we drove up to a boneyard and got a replacement.....that kid changed the entire diff in his driveway laying on a tarp over snow and ice in a weekend and drove an hour each way to work on Monday morning. I gotta tell ya, he impressed the hell out of me! I'm expecting big things out of him on his Duster this summer with that kinda tenacity. Kudos to Chris!

Hope to have some updates for ya soon, but that kinda depends on Mom Nature!

Capn, Just wanted to say this was one of the best reads Ive had in a long time. Keep up the good work, I "donated" some cash to your restoration fund today (aka bought your book off amazon) keep the work flowing brother!

...that kid changed the entire diff in his driveway laying on a tarp over snow and ice in a weekend and drove an hour each way to work on Monday morning.

I did that with a gas tank (14 holes in it) in the middle of winter...I *am* impressed with your son !

My dad always said that if we wanted something done, we would have to do it ourselves.

Been nice here (t shirt weather) until a day or so ago...major blizzard heading our way tomorrow..

ian.

Capn, Just wanted to say this was one of the best reads Ive had in a long time. Keep up the good work, I "donated" some cash to your restoration fund today (aka bought your book off amazon) keep the work flowing brother!
Thank you, sir! You have no idea how much that means to me!:-D

I did that with a gas tank (14 holes in it) in the middle of winter...I *am* impressed with your son !

My dad always said that if we wanted something done, we would have to do it ourselves.

Been nice here (t shirt weather) until a day or so ago...major blizzard heading our way tomorrow..

ian.

Your dad was right.....
Yep, you guys are really gonna get hammered. Sorry to hear it.:wack:

Nuthin' to tell, boys.....still have 3 feet of snow in the back yard, and ice under The Duke from a recent thaw where all the4 melting snow ran into the garage and froze in a big puddle underneath. Spring ain't here yet in the midwest, but soon, soon....
As soon as it does I'm gonna get busy where I left off. Right now I got a boatload of other troubles to deal with (I'll tell ya 'bout it later) but as soon as the work resumes, the updates will start. Oh, thanks for asking!

Big, big changes in the wind boys. (Not with regard to The Duke, but changes that will likely affect The Duke....for the better.) Stay tuned.

Big, big changes in the wind boys. (Not with regard to The Duke, but changes that will likely affect The Duke....for the better.) Stay tuned.

Well, OK then.....out with it, Cap'n.....
See, bid'ness wasn't doing so hot lately. Major suckage, truth be known.
As in, late paychecks for the last year, descending into....NO paychecks?:wack:
Piss on that. I took a corporate gig beginning the 1st of April and I'm not looking back. So, while I can no longer say I "own my own biz" I can at least count on a paycheck. Oh; did I mention it was, like, double the money? No? Well, it is.
I would think (after making up for past shortcomings) that this should affect The Duke in a positive way......:D
Anyway, spring has sprung and time to get busy. Stay tuned:happy1:

Well, OK then.....out with it, Cap'n.....
See, bid'ness wasn't doing so hot lately. Major suckage, truth be known.
As in, late paychecks for the last year, descending into....NO paychecks?:wack:
Piss on that. I took a corporate gig beginning the 1st of April and I'm not looking back. So, while I can no longer say I "own my own biz" I can at least count on a paycheck. Oh; did I mention it was, like, double the money? No? Well, it is.
I would think (after making up for past shortcomings) that this should affect The Duke in a positive way......:D
Anyway, spring has sprung and time to get busy. Stay tuned:happy1:

Well ya know if you can't beat 'em, join 'em! Glad it is working out, I am looking forward to some progress updates.

Hey Cappy, er, Cap'n (sorry... ok not really that sorry, I thought it'd be a witty reference to your Duke encounters),

I can't brag like the others about reading your tome in one sitting. It's taken me 4 or 5 days here, but that's not to say it hasn't been compelling. It has. It resonates louder than the worn glasspacks on my old '69 xxxx (don't want to say what that car was lest I be flamed off here) I've loved the read.

Probably what resonates for so many others here as well as myself is how we're all in that same motivational boat. Your story has strengthened my own resolve on my project(s). (maybe more on the parenthesized "s" after "project" a bit later)

My son came to me recently, wistfully longing to build a car with me to learn mechanical skills and paint skills (as if I could teach him PAINT!!) so we searched around a bit and a bought a 70 Dart Swinger a few months back. I'll be picking up the engine pieces tomorrow from the machine shop. Engine assembly begins.

I've worried about my own motivations, and the depth of the funding needed to FEED said project. But you and the others posting here are certainly inspiring me. I appreciate especially your postulation that one really needs an acknowledgment of a new "stage" of life-course, and the resultant change in lifeSTYLE. Well, as Gomer Pyle might say, "SHAZAM!", that's what actually seems to be taking place. Tonight, without anything else to do, it was cleaning small parts -- pulleys, valve covers, plug wire looms, etc.

Seems to me YOU were gonna take that tack for the winter. Clean small parts, that is. In your shop at work. (nudge, nudge) So get out there and make it happen. Or maybe your new corporate job doesn't allow you that privelege. But days are longer now, they're warming up, and, dare I say, "Yer burnin' daylight, Pilgrim!" Maybe that'll spur you on and there'll be more to read.

Forward, HO!

JD

Hey Cappy, er, Cap'n (sorry... ok not really that sorry, I thought it'd be a witty reference to your Duke encounters),

I can't brag like the others about reading your tome in one sitting. It's taken me 4 or 5 days here, but that's not to say it hasn't been compelling. It has. It resonates louder than the worn glasspacks on my old '69 xxxx (don't want to say what that car was lest I be flamed off here) I've loved the read.

Probably what resonates for so many others here as well as myself is how we're all in that same motivational boat. Your story has strengthened my own resolve on my project(s). (maybe more on the parenthesized "s" after "project" a bit later)

My son came to me recently, wistfully longing to build a car with me to learn mechanical skills and paint skills (as if I could teach him PAINT!!) so we searched around a bit and a bought a 70 Dart Swinger a few months back. I'll be picking up the engine pieces tomorrow from the machine shop. Engine assembly begins.

I've worried about my own motivations, and the depth of the funding needed to FEED said project. But you and the others posting here are certainly inspiring me. I appreciate especially your postulation that one really needs an acknowledgment of a new "stage" of life-course, and the resultant change in lifeSTYLE. Well, as Gomer Pyle might say, "SHAZAM!", that's what actually seems to be taking place. Tonight, without anything else to do, it was cleaning small parts -- pulleys, valve covers, plug wire looms, etc.

Seems to me YOU were gonna take that tack for the winter. Clean small parts, that is. In your shop at work. (nudge, nudge) So get out there and make it happen. Or maybe your new corporate job doesn't allow you that privelege. But days are longer now, they're warming up, and, dare I say, "Yer burnin' daylight, Pilgrim!" Maybe that'll spur you on and there'll be more to read.

Forward, HO!

JD
Thanks for the encouraging words, JD. Don't feel bad....I can't read it all in one sitting anymore and.....hell; I WROTE it.
I was out there today.....shuffling things around, vacuuming up leaves from off the floor. It's a mess. And I stopped more than once to gaze upon The Duke, He's ready. As if to say, "Whatya waitin' on pilgrim? We're burning daylight!" Once I start, it will be ON again until winter once again wraps her icy tendrils around me. No, the new corporate job doesn't really leave much room for "playing" at work. But that's quite alright.....I play best in my own environment anyway.
Don't sweat the small details on your project. I learned a long time ago it's more important to put one foot in front of the other than to constantly worry which way you're heading or how long it's taking you to get there. Or, even if you ever do. It's the journey, not the destination.
Oh, and don't call me Cappy....:D

Stay tuned. Good stuff to follow......:happy1:

Capn... Were dying out here in the land of internet..... Whats the word on the DUKE???? Come on brother, you're leaving your loyal readers out in the cold/heat in suspense lol.
Hope things are going good brother.

Capn... Were dying out here in the land of internet..... Whats the word on the DUKE???? Come on brother, you're leaving your loyal readers out in the cold/heat in suspense lol.
Hope things are going good brother.
The word, in a word, is....shame. Shame on me, 'cuz I ain't done a dad-gum thing all summer and it's, well...it's damn near over, is what it is. No excuses; I did spend two weeks training in Texas, but that's no excuse. I guess everything still feels unsettled. I'll still get a few chops in before winter, but the summer marathon I had planned ain't gonna happen...this year.
Haven't done any writing, either....or wrenching on the bikes. Only a little riding. I am calling this one my "off-year". A year in which I have officially done "diddly-squat" for the most part. We ARE allowed one in every decade, I believe, this is mine. I do promise, for your guys' sake to do SOMETHING on the Duke before summer is gone.....and thanks for the poke. I needed it.

Cap'n it's OK we all know how that stuff goes. Now that you're done making excuses to the Duke get to work lol. Just giving ya some grief brother.

Posted via Topify on Android

What sadness... I just realized that MONTHS ago I changed my email address and didn't tell FABO. SO -- I just signed on and looked for updates to this thread. Woe is us'ns. No updates in all these months from our esteemed Cap'n. Come on, buddy. Make a New Year's Resolution for the Duke, and keep it!

As for me and my son, we're at work on the interior of our father/son 70 Dart Swinger Project. Over the spring and summer we got the engine built and installed into our newly cleaned and painted engine bay, tranny built, installed a 3.91 Sure Grip pumpkin and detailed the underside. "Darlene" (the Dart) runs under her own power! Estimate completion of "Stage 1" restoration is late Spring, early Summer.

Cheers!
Rub

-
Back