Car Cover Rant

-

64conv65hard

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When hurricane Sandy came thru last month she destroyed the car cover on my 64 convertible. The cover was about 3 years old so I figured it was time for a new one anyway. The cover for my Barracuda is from the same company as the Valiants, I paid a little more for it because it was thicker and it made it thru the storm no problem so I figured I'd get the same kind. I found the company "Auto Armour" had the cover still for sale so I ordered the thicker 5 layer cover (the Valiant was 3 layers). When it showed up I could tell right away it was not as thick as the one on the Barracuda and it also didn't fit on the Valiant. They have a 60 day return policy but can only contact them thru email. When they finally responded back they told me that to keep competitive with other comapanies they switched to a thinner material. I tried to find out how to get the thicker material but they only respond once a day so after a week of this nonsense I knew it wasn't going to happen. All during this time I would request an address and directions on how to return it and it took 10 days before the actually gave me an address. I shipped it back (I get to pay the $15 shipping) and they do refund my money :cheers:. So now I find another comapany "Cover Factory" who has a 7 layer cover for about $30 dollars more than the 5 layer from "Auto Armour" so I figured this should work. Well today when I get home on my door step is an "Auto Armour" box (looked like someone was playing soccer with it and it is completely circled with packing tape) and inside is the exact same car cover, same part # and box as the previous cover. Turns out this company is selling the same covers and just saying they're thicker and their own brand but at a higher price and it's in an Auto Armour box. I guess I'll be losing another $15 sending this one back. Why can't I get the same cover that I have on the Barracuda? Sorry about the long rant but this is pissing me off :banghead: .

I use covercraft, car covers, on two of my cars, but then my cars are always stored inside so it's just keeping them clean issue for me. I do like the covercraft covers though as there both 15 years old and have been washed several time, and there still as good as new, and there a nice heavy soft lined material, I'v been trying to find one to fit my lil red express, but the stacks make it impossible to use a standard pick-up truck cover.

I'v been trying to find one to fit my lil red express, but the stacks make it impossible to use a standard pick-up truck cover.

you need one like the one i had for my express truck.. :)

scan0002.jpg

scan0001.jpg

a lady in colorado used to customize a regular truck cover for the stacks. had zippers running right up the stack so it was easy to put the cover on..

i can't remember her name. but her husband was into these trucks and worked at a dealer. i bought a bunch of stuff from him that most say you couldn't get any more..

cover ran about $350 about 12 years ago.. found out about it on a yahoo group for lil reds. i swear i had her info here somewhere not too long ago but now that i want it i can't find it anywhere...

Make a claim with your credit card company and you'll get all your money back, I wouldn't even mess with them again.

When hurricane Sandy came thru last month she destroyed the car cover on my 64 convertible. The cover was about 3 years old so I figured it was time for a new one anyway. The cover for my Barracuda is from the same company as the Valiants, I paid a little more for it because it was thicker and it made it thru the storm no problem so I figured I'd get the same kind. I found the company "Auto Armour" had the cover still for sale so I ordered the thicker 5 layer cover (the Valiant was 3 layers). When it showed up I could tell right away it was not as thick as the one on the Barracuda and it also didn't fit on the Valiant. They have a 60 day return policy but can only contact them thru email. When they finally responded back they told me that to keep competitive with other comapanies they switched to a thinner material. I tried to find out how to get the thicker material but they only respond once a day so after a week of this nonsense I knew it wasn't going to happen. All during this time I would request an address and directions on how to return it and it took 10 days before the actually gave me an address. I shipped it back (I get to pay the $15 shipping) and they do refund my money :cheers:. So now I find another comapany "Cover Factory" who has a 7 layer cover for about $30 dollars more than the 5 layer from "Auto Armour" so I figured this should work. Well today when I get home on my door step is an "Auto Armour" box (looked like someone was playing soccer with it and it is completely circled with packing tape) and inside is the exact same car cover, same part # and box as the previous cover. Turns out this company is selling the same covers and just saying they're thicker and their own brand but at a higher price and it's in an Auto Armour box. I guess I'll be losing another $15 sending this one back. Why can't I get the same cover that I have on the Barracuda? Sorry about the long rant but this is pissing me off :banghead: .

Sorry, that you had to go through all that problem. I got a Covercraft NOAH from www.CoverQuest.com. They have so many fabric option to pick from, it was hard for me to pick one but they are there to help guide me through it. I love my car cover and their customer service was wonderful. The car cover I got protect my car from nicks, dents, dings and scratches and the soft and strong inner layer protects my car's finish. You might want to check out Covercraft WeatherShield HP it's known for its ability to shed water and stop dust, dirt and tree sap. The silky smooth finish of this cover will glide over your vehicle’s finish. Well, check out www.coverquest.com and see what you can find. I'm sure you will find the right one at a good price. Good Luck!

Got my money back, just didn't know the second company was claiming auto armours covers were theirs and was more misleading about thickness than auto armour. The same cover (same part #) Auto Armour claims is 5 layers and Cover Factory claims it's 7 layers but it's actually only 2 layers. FYI my finger went through the cover when trying to put it on my car, some protection huh.

FYI my finger went through the cover when trying to put it on my car, some protection huh.

Man, time to trim those fingernails! LOL

Seriously, contact California Car Cover Co. (www.calcarcover.com) as others have suggested. They make 5 different levels of covers for outdoor use as well as others specifically for indoor use. They'll also make custom covers to fit your specific vehicle - one of our club members has had them make covers for each of his toys ('33 Ford roadster, '37 Plymouth 2-door slantback, and '49 Chevy Fleetline fastback).

I bought an Auto Armour based on what you said about them in an earlier thread. My car has a cover on it now, the AA one is still sitting in the box, guess I should open the box and see what it look like? It has only been out there for 2 months now..lol

Got my money back, just didn't know the second company was claiming auto armours covers were theirs and was more misleading about thickness than auto armour. The same cover (same part #) Auto Armour claims is 5 layers and Cover Factory claims it's 7 layers but it's actually only 2 layers. FYI my finger went through the cover when trying to put it on my car, some protection huh.

LOL! But seriously you might want to check out www.coverquest.com. Both my brother and I got our car covers from them and am very satisfied with what we got.

Are you a paid spokesperson because your last post sounded like an advertisement.

I'm definitely not a paid spokesperson. I just want to let people know how satisfied I am with my cover. I did a lot of research before going out to purchase one. You definitely don't have to put my words in consideration.

OK, after checking all the info you guys gave me and determining that your recomendations were great but a little too expensive for my wallet, I found a great car cover for my price range. It's from Auto Parts Pro and I talked to a guy named Johnathan. He informed me there is no such thing as 7 layer covers and his is a 5 layer ( I was thinking oh no, not another 5 layer). He said if I was not satisfied he would pay for return shipping. The cover arrived this week and I will say it is even thicker than the one on my Barracuda. Now i believe the one from auto armour must be 3 layers and the new stuff they're trying to pawn off as 7 or 5 layer are actually 1 layer. It came with straps sewn in for under the front and rear of the car and was definately a lot bigger than the other covers. So for $130 i'm satisfied with a good cover. FYI, Johnathans # 1-888-544-8417.

-
Back