Car cover recommendations

-

jfaabody

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good car cover that won't break the bank? The car is going to be sitting in the Florida sun all summer untouched so I want to protect it.

May want to get a car port. UV rays will do more damage to interior and paint costing you ten times what a cheap carport runs.

http://www.carport.com/

Car covers never seem to last when exposed to the elements. I know FL has many types of elements that happen almost every day.

Can anyone recommend a good car cover that won't break the bank? The car is going to be sitting in the Florida sun all summer untouched so I want to protect it.

My experience with car covers convinced me to just buy the cheaper ones and replace them when the sun turns them to paper. Even the ones that are supposed to be uv resistant go away every 3 or 4 months in the sun here in Arizona. I wish I could do a carport but our covenence's here won't allow it.

this is what I use on my cars. will last about 3 years. have no problems. ebay auction #

Just go to Oreileys and get this cover. They last a while and block the UV well. Ive tested with a UV meter. I have a meter as my nephew is allergic to the sun and UV rays..... But thats a whole different story. Oreileys will honor all manufacture warranties. I have swapped out several covers over the last decade. Just keep the box and the reciept. Most either don't know or don't save the box and the receipt. Using this method is cheapest over all. Like $59 For over 10 years and counting.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 161
this is what I use on my cars. will last about 3 years. have no problems. ebay auction #

Nice looking cover....says lifetime warranty....wonder if they would replace it every time the 120 degree Arizona sun reduces it to nothing. Might give one of them a try.

Another downfall to a cover is the fact that they whip the body when the wind blows. I ruined or should I say the wind ruined my newly re-chromed bumpers just by chafing. Covers are great for unfinished cars stored outside but not so great for finished cars.

Cost is always a factor but expecting a cheap cloth to protect your car from the elements is a pipe dream.

Last $0.02

tell you how I do that cover thing to keep it from whipping the body. when you put the cover on, make sure it is pulled tight. get 3 of the 1" straps and take one over the front about a foot from the end of the hood, one over the back about a foot from the end of the car and run one over the roof of the car where the door handles are. tighten the strap down just enough to snug it. take a rag and fold it and run it under the straps where they meet the car on the corners to keep from rubbing. then tighten the strap down just enough to keep it tight. Done both of my cars like that for the past couple of years that had to sit outside because of other jobs going on. have never had a problem yet. My cars are finished.

I will never store a car outside, under a tarp again no matter how many straps or cords or whatever means to hold it on there are. The weather is too crazy here in MO. We get snow, wind, rain, sleet, hail, micro-bursts, tornado's, humidity, dust storms etc. Nothing that is made of cloth can stop that for long or hold up.

A $60 tarp will not save your car from the elements here.

-
Back