Car Dealers Suck!

-

MB43

Reaction score
My wife has a 2003 Honda Odyssey, which we lease. We got a letter in the mail from a local Honda dealer which said that they had a high demand for this model and would like to buy it back from us. It also said that we'd be able to get a new 2005 model for little or no money down.

My wife called the dealer to ask how they do it. They said that they pay off the remainder of the lease, and they would offer us a new vehicle, as if we were making a first purchase. It sounded like a good deal, so we cleaned up the car and went down to the dealer.

I told the sales guy that we pay around $325 for the car now, and didn't want to go much higher than that. He went off, took a look at our car and said that they'd give us $18,000 for it. The pay off on the car is $22,000, so we were $4,000 short right off the bat. But they told us on the phone that they'd pay it off no matter what we owed and wouldn't add it to the price of the new car.

So he goes off to make some calculations. He came back and told us that he could put us in the new car - TODAY ONLY - for $588 per month with $4000 down! I nearly fell out of my chair. I asked him why it was so much, he told us that the new car was "much more car" than we currently have. I told him that I didn't want to pay more than the $325 I'm paying now and got up to leave. He asked me why I even came down, there was no way I'd be able to get a new car for that. I told him that we came down since we got a letter saying they wanted our vehicle, not because I wanted to get rid of it.

He flipped over the paper he was writing on and wrote up something that said I wanted a new car, with the options I asked for, for $325 per month. Then he drew an 'x' and a line, told me to sign it. I asked him why I had to sign it, he said that he couldn't talk to his manager about it unless I was "serious", and my signature - plus a credit card would show I was serious. I told him I'd give him a nice firm handshake to show I was serious, but that was about it. Then he wanted to know if he was able to get his manager to agree to this deal would I even want to buy the car TODAY, I told him I wasn't about to make any deals today, I'd want to sleep on it.

Then he told me that if I wasn't serious about it - if I wasn't ready to make a deal TODAY, he couldn't help me. He handed me his card and said if I changed my mind I should call him. I told him that if I changed my mind, I certainly wouldn't be coming back to him, as he was the worst salesman I'd ever dealt with, and probably wouldn't even come back to this dealership. He said "thanks for coming down anyway", I gave him a crooked smile and said "go f**k yourself", gathered up my wife and son and walked out.

I hate car dealers, especially ones that try to pull a bait & switch me.

You need to see this vid of a customer that took a saleman for a hell ride in a 03 cobra, even does a huge a$$ burn-out in front of the dealer!!! I don't know how to do a link---maybe some one could help. Go to nloc.net then forums, scroll all the way down. Click members video links, Its titled 03 cobra test vid. play it and enjoy.

you know what they arn't doing is eating the early termination fees. if you want a good boneing just turn in a lease early. i've bought and leased lot of vechicles for personal and business and never forget the buyer is always in the drivers seat. your salesman sounds like a good closer and those guys could give a s**t. the signature he wanted was really a trial close he's testing you. if he can't get you to sign for nothing he knows he can't get you to sign for a car. you did the right thing walking.

i know the feeling. i took my old yota into a dealer lookin for parts for it and they offered me a nice deal on a newer p\u. ok cool. i take the truck down and they gave me the runaround. granted i had a CLEAN 79 3\4 ton toyota P\U original motor, trans, and interior. the only problem with this truck was a rip in the drivers seat. THATS IT! when they first saw it they offered me $3000 for it. when i came in they said they would take my truck for $2000. i siad ok... that go twards the down?? the guy laughed and said "No... thats $2000 YOU PAY US to take it. we cant sell that pos here. we would wholesale it to the first junkyard that came our way." i told em to go F themselves and sold it for $200 less than i paid for it 2 yrs earlier...which ended up being about $1500. dealers do suck! except when you got frewinds that hook ya up with great deals like my 90 cherokee:D

Try working with them everyday, LOL. Those Honda guys are a pain in the ***.

AdamR said:
Try working with them everyday, LOL. Those Honda guys are a pain in the ***.

THANK GOD my service dept. is about a mile from the showroom. We don't have those reptiles slithering around the shop very often. When I bought my GTI we researched how much it cost the dealer and made an offer of 4% above that, which is a fair profit considering we knew what we wanted and it didn't require any song & dance from the snake, er... I mean "salesman". All he had to do was write it up and call when it came in.

I've worked for new car dealers for over 25 yrs. and believe me, those salesmen are all cut from the same cloth, so to speak. Kinda like a street hustler stopping you and offering a "deal".... Pure bullshit artists.

Do the walk Mikel.... and tell them "nice try". :thebirdm:

Dodge does that with Dakotas every few months because used Dakotas sell fast and for a good price. Here is the kicker Dodge Dealers don't tell you about this program at all. You kinda have to know when they are doing this deal or know a saleman that isn't to sleasy that will tell you when they are having that offer in order to get it.

I'm glad everyone liked the vid. I think of that vid every time i see a salemen at the dealer.Thats the only way to get a good deal------"I can't do a black car" that was great.lol

I hear that. I've lost count how many times I've been asked by a female relative or friend to just go with them while they go to buy a car. For some reason the salesOrganism tends to be better behaved is there is a man present; I did not make the rules, I just try to break them. These low-lives are one of the reason I drive a Saturn, that car ain't pretty but runs like a gem, gets 40 MPG (goes 0-60 in 4 tries!) and the folks there treat me like a human! I'm am devastated to say that every Herr-Chrysler/Dodge deal I've have been to lately has been the same nest of snakes. Even at these gas prices I'd drive my Duster to work before dealing with these slime-rats again. GOOD for you for walking away!

-LY

Have'nt bought a car at a dealer since 1992, probably never will
again either, reminded me of rats in a corner the way they were all
contemplating a so called deal. I like that 03 Cobra deal. I have a friend
that has an Cobra, and when they first came out, a lady brought one
back to the dealer for service, and this idiot mechanic decided to go
test drive and beat the crap out of it. I'm sure most test drivers do that,
but this rocket scientist decided to post what he did to this customers
car on The Corral which is a huge Mustang website. In about 2 days
this genious was fired!! That has to be one of the dumbest things some
one's done.

Well said. You would think that somewhere, someone would realize that not being complete bastard would work in your favor. About a month ago I was on the way home with the Duster and figured I'd stop at the local Dodge dealer to have a look at the new "Charger". I barely get 10 steps away when I am intercepted by this dweeb that has the unmitigated gall to ask me "So what is it going to take to get you out of that heap and into a real car?" Hey rocket-surgeon! Rule #1: DON'T INSULT YOUR CUSTOMER! Since New Hampshire has tough A&B laws, I just got back in the duster and went home. Did they have better service back in 1973? I was to busy learning my ABCs to notice.

-LY

Lone Yankee said:
Since New Hampshire has tough A&B laws, I just got back in the duster and went home.

What's an "A&B law"?

Damn straight! Of course the boot-to-the-head would have been just the appetizer for this joker! Where do they get these winners, IRS rejcts?

-
Back