Car doesn’t move until high RPMS.

-
I get drainback overnight, but when I start my car I put it in neutral before taking off and it's fine.

At this point I’m not sure if this is a transmission issue or a kickdown issue so I’m posting in in here. My car has been sitting a long time due to brake issues. Went to load it onto the trailer Saturday and noticed it was really struggling to get up the ramps. It finally got up there at around 3000 RPM. Backed it off the trailer and onto the lift and noticed the same issues. I went out today and checked the fluid level but forgot the keys so I couldn’t start it. Cold the fluid was at the fill mark.

After doing a bit of reading this could be something as simple as being low on fluid or my kickdown needs adjusting. Worst case scenario I managed to smoke a transmission with a total of 20 feet of driving the car.

Transmission is a 727 with a Lupo built converter.
After 5 years with AAMCO I heard this issue multiple time: "My car has been sitting a long time". That is the death knell for any transmission. The seals harden and the transmission loses pressure internally. It is recommended to start the car at least once a month, let it warm up, and drive it around for a few minutes if possible. Then go through the gears (when stopped) including parka and reverse.

Long term storage or sitting the converter can drain back. There is a drainback valve to stop that. If overnight it drains back, that valve is likely not functioning correctly. Not running the oil level should be high by an inch or so. When started cold it should be a bit low but in the operating range. If cold and it is even close to the low mark, go for a 3 to 5 mile drive to get the oil up to temperature, then check and top up if required.
or the pump isnt pumping the pump will not pump while its in park put it in neutral first

Forget the kickdown. It's not the cause.

-
Back