Car has no power, electronic or carb issue?

-

demon700

Reaction score
My 318 is brand new, using the summit electronic ignition kit (orange box) and a blaster coil. The car starts and idles good, but seems to have no power and will not rev over 3500rpm. I tried swapping out the ign box with another aftermarket standard box, with no change. I am running a 670 holley, and 31* total timing which seems to run the best even as it is. The carb was a used one i picked up, and other then setting the idle mixture screws back to stock, i have not changed anything. I brought it to work today, and on the highway(100km/hr) the pedal had to be on the floor, and car sat at around 3200 most of the way. Any suggestions?

Is the car running rough like its missing a cylinder when you're running the 3200 rpm or does it seem gas related?

What kind of fuel pressure you getting at the carb?

Was the cam installed correctly via method of degreeing?

Hard to tell without hearing run, etc...

the car doesn't feel like its missing. I'm not sure of the fuel pressure at the carb, and i didn't degree the cam. I suppose that could be my issue...

Is the gas tank extremely clean? I had a same type issue where trash would slowly collect around the screen in the tank therefore restricting flow. Come to a stop the trash would dislodge then the process would start all over again.

I have a clear filter before the carb and the gas looks clean enough, no debris that i can see. A new tank was put in just before I bought the car, probably about 4 years ago. Sitting in park or neutral, the engine will rev up fine, in gear and moving, 3500 seems to be the best she has.

Sounds like the secondaries aren't opening or there is no fuel in the secondary bowl. pull the plug on the side and make sure there is fuel inside. Also check that the timing is actually advancing as RPM increases.

the throttle cable IS from the slant, but the primaries are opening all the way when the pedal is down...you will have to excuse me if I sound like I have no idea what i am talking about, because I really don't. lol

the throttle cable IS from the slant, but the primaries are opening all the way when the pedal is down...you will have to excuse me if I sound like I have no idea what i am talking about, because I really don't. lol

Engine off, throw a weight on the pedal and raise the hood, betcha you can get more throttle by hand.

there was definately room for improvement. I have it adjusted pretty good no. Can't believe that was the problem. Just took it for a spin and it works so much better. Thanks everyone for your help.

The difference in the length of the cable and the length of the sheathe dictates the cables travel. Basicly if you can figure out how to shorter the sheathe you can make it work.

i have it adjusted now to open the throttle all the way, not just the primaries. I had to re-work my cable bracket, but i think it will work. Would still like to pick up a new one as this cable has a bit of a kink in it

-
Back