Car ID

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
How would one go about finding how many cars were produced in a particular model/configuration for any given year? I have the VIN, fender tag, and (somewhat legible and partially complete) build sheet. Since it's a factory '72 340 4 speed in a fairly unusual color (Winchester Gray/Gunmetal), I'm thinking it might be more rare than I originally assumed. Unfortunately, the original engine is long gone so it's not a matching numbers car, but the motor going in is a '72 period correct motor.

Look for chrysler historical society.

It has been harder to find on the chrysler website but I have stumbled on it a few times lately.

If you tell us what make/model it is then someone can just tell you how many they made that year. The 340 #'s are pretty well documented, there's likely a # for auto's vs 4 speeds. But that's about it, there isn't a break down of options that's still available. A lot of the factory data from that time was lost/destroyed. Color data is only out there in a % of production, and that's only for the high impact colors. There may not even be a percentage for winchester gray cars.

If you tell us what make/model it is then someone can just tell you how many they made that year.

I thought I did that?

1972 Duster 340, factory 4-speed, 8.75 Sure Grip, Winchester Gray with black interior/high back buckets.

So, with a quick search here's the numbers I found...

From this post, with no source info given...
Interesting A-Body Production Numbers

1972 Duster

Fastback Coupe: 212,321
340 Fastback Coupe: 15,681
Total 1972 Dusters: 228,002

High impact paint %'s, which only shows info for two colors in 1972, hemi orange and lemon twist. Winchester gray isn't a high impact color, so, maybe no data on that at all
High Impact Color Production % #'s

Allpar, which lists the Duster and Valiant in the same category...
Plymouth U.S. Model Year Production Figures, 1946-2001
Screen Shot 2020-12-30 at 10.51.03 AM.png

This post, which says 212,311 Dusters in 1972 and lists a source but no 340 breakdown (post #5)...
Demon vs Duster Production Numbers.

I read somewhere that GA4 was used on 2% of the '71 Demons. Not sure if this is correct or BS.

HA! Found the info on paint codes. Your post jogged my memory on that one. It was about 2.3% of production for the '72 Valiant and Duster. But that's total production, the 340 cars may have been a little different percentage-wise.

73_plymouth_advance_info0012-jpg.jpg

Here's the link to Hamtramck-historical for this particular image
https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...hAdvanceInfo/73_Plymouth_advance_Info0012.jpg

And in general, if information like that is what you want Hamtramck-historical is where you'll find it. @Alaskan_TA runs the site and knows a lot about that sort of stuff as well, he may be able to shine some more light on the production numbers. But as I said earlier, I'm pretty sure that you won't find a break down by options beyond the 340 and possibly the transmission, it comes up all the time and the records just don't exist anymore.
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

Thanks for all this great info! And in no way does it reflect how many of those vehicles are 6 feet under now. My guess is there would be very few survivors in GA4.

What's the source? 340 only? Or 340 4-speed?
Galen's white books.
'72 Duster total 212,331 for all countries
U.S. production was as follows:
198 slant 6 was 17,165
225 slant 6 was 131,520
318 v8 was 44,479

Duster 340 was 15,681 total for all countries
13,802 all
3 speed was 2,401
4 speed was 2,871
Auto was 8,530
Sunroof 340 with all transmissions was 41

I hope that this answers your questions.........

Galen's white books.
'72 Duster total 212,331 for all countries
198 slant 6 was 17,165
225 slant 6 was 131,520
318 v8 was 44,479

Duster 340 was 15,681 total for all countries
13,802 all
3 speed was 2,401
4 speed was 2,871
Auto was 8,530
Sunroof 340 with all transmissions was 41

I hope that this answers your questions.........
Only question left unanswered is...how many survived? Probably no way to determine that answer. As a matter of fact, I did a VIN search on my car yesterday. Apparently it does not exist. It's been off the road for nearly 40 years.

Only question left unanswered is...how many survived? Probably no way to determine that answer. As a matter of fact, I did a VIN search on my car yesterday. Apparently it does not exist. It's been off the road for nearly 40 years.
How many have survived is the age old question.
I would hazard to guess that 5 to 10% of total production could still be out there somewhere, but we'll never know.
And they are getting fewer every year.........

-
Back