Car only starts in Run position

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

The Duster's been like this since I bought it in 2011. Finally got the other priorities fixed, so gonna dig into this issue next.

Issue: Car cranks with key in Start position, but will only start if I ease the key back to the Run position. Fires right up everything, so wasn't a big concern. Hoping the PO may have crossed a connection or something easy. But figure time to sort it out.

Setup: 72 Duster340, 727, MSD 6AL, Blaster2 coil. (Orange wire on +, dark blue on -)

Ballister appears bypassed

Any trouble shooting tips are appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Pat

Depending on how the ballast resistor was bypassed, that's most likely the cause right there.
IGN1 (start) and IGN2 (run) need to be connected together before hooking up the MSD- it sounds like the PO just hooked it up to IGN2.

Depending on how the ballast resistor was bypassed, that's most likely the cause right there.
IGN1 (start) and IGN2 (run) need to be connected together before hooking up the MSD- it sounds like the PO just hooked it up to IGN2.
THIS... EXCEPT REVERSED...........IGN1 is "run" IGN2 is the ballast bypass IGN2 is normally brown but not always. It originally connected to the ballast terminal that feeds the coil+ terminal

IGN1 is ONLY hot in "run" and originally fed the ballast and to the coil, as well as the VR, alternator field, electric choke if used, etc. IT GOES DEAD when cranking

IGN2 is live ONLY in start as is the yellow "start" wire. Start wire feeds the start relay to crank, IGN2 fed full battery voltage to the coil

THIS... EXCEPT REVERSED...........IGN1 is "run" IGN2 is the ballast bypass IGN2 is normally brown but not always. It originally connected to the ballast terminal that feeds the coil+ terminal

IGN1 is ONLY hot in "run" and originally fed the ballast and to the coil, as well as the VR, alternator field, electric choke if used, etc. IT GOES DEAD when cranking

IGN2 is live ONLY in start as is the yellow "start" wire. Start wire feeds the start relay to crank, IGN2 fed full battery voltage to the coil
Doh! I should have double-checked before I replied! :BangHead:

-
Back