Car Prices

-

thestover

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that our cars are getting harder to sell and the prices are in the toilet? Ive lost interest in my ride and am thinking of a new build but Only a couple of dreamers looking but then I havent tried to hard to advertise it.At one time a #s matching piece of junk was fetching decent money now its flat.Will it ever come back or what?

The day of the over priced matching number cars has stalled out for now, will it ever come back maybe some day, but not in the economy we are in now.
It's a buyers market, the prices are where they should be, I feel.
Throw a cover over your car and go out and buy a new project to work on.

Kenny

i agree.. the prices are finally getting to where they are supposed to be. some guys still think its 1997 and can't move their car.

Sign of the times. People are afraid of losing their jobs or don't have one and anyone with money is reluctant to part with it. Also lots of people had money invested in the stock markets and they have yet to recover. Probably another 5 years or so before we get through this and things significantly improve. If you are patient you may be able to find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price, otherwise it is usually low ballers. Good luck!

..i'm thinking prices peaked around 06.
..the fun is in the building but now you can buy cheaper than you can build so that part of the hobby is slowing as well.
..market is flooded with muscle cars right now but rare examples built right still bring good money.

I think they are still to high but the price of parts is even worse.

In 1971 I purchase a new swinger. 225/904 a/c, rear defogger, map light, full wheel covers, PS, PDB, am radio, vinyl roof, vinyl interior, white side wall tires, 2 way mirror, etc.

The sticker price of the car was $2989.00, the purchase price purchase price of the new car back then (tax/tag/and title) was $2717.51. I put $200 down on the car, and my monthly payments for 36 months we $74.50. The cost of the loan and the down payment totaled $2954.00 paid out.

A new Dodge B200 Tradesman van. 318/727/9 3/4", 127" wheel base, power steering, power disc brakes, a/c, am/fm/cassette, glove compartment door, glove compartment light, passenger seat, passenger sun visor, black interior trim, 6100 lbs GVW package, H78-15 tires, spare wheel, full size spare tire, chrome bumpers, full head liner, front and rear doom lights (btw, none of this stuff is standard equipment) Swivel captain's chairs with arm rests. Side hinged doors w/o glass. Rear hinged double doors with vented/tinted glass.

List price $5882.16 Drive out price $5200.00 payments were 133.00 per month for 36 months.

1986 Dodge B150 ram wagon (passenger van) 318/999, 9-3/4" , power windows and door locks, power disc brakes, all vented and tinted side glass, single rear hinged door, double hinged side doors, 6010 lb GVW package, 8 passenger seating with deluxe cloth seating, cruise, tilt, am/fm cassette/cd, 6 speakers, full padded floor carpeting. two town paint, chrome bumpers, chrome trim, at wheel wells and body side molding, intermittent wipers, etc....

List price: $16,452.11 Drive out price $13,500.00 $500.0 down payment, monthly payments were 279.90 for 48 months.

My point is, until the mid 80's new cars/truck were affordable to the common working man. That getting to the point now with 6, 7 and even 10 year loans that it pretty much sucks buying a new car, but presently new cars are a better deal than used cars.

After that, the value of new cars dropped, though the pricing continued to climb. today we look at a compact 4 cylinder FWD car, see a price tag of $19K and think it;s a good deal.

My 2012 Diesel Ram crew cab dually cost more than $51,000 drive out!!!!! I'm 62 years old. My hope is that it will be the last pick up I ever have to buy. If I can get 20 years out of it, I will be nearly 83 years old at that point (with any luck) I doubt I will be looking at another fullsize pick up by then.
Perhaps one of those little pos cars will fill the bill at that point, even though by that time it will probably be about $50K for a stripper Prius.

The collector car market- especially the driver and NICE driver market- is all over the place. I've seen cars that were offered to me for 6K sell elsewhere for 12K. I've seen cars sit on craigslist for a year at $1200, then sell on ebay for $4000. I've seen cars on CL for $500, change hands, and then relist right on CL, for $1500. I've bought a running, driving car with $600 in brand new parts, for $650. I've seen 500lbs of bondo sell for nearly 10K, and 50,000 mile originals sell for 4K. 72 4 speed Duster 1200 OBO. 72 Duster 10K firm.

Do your homework, give/get as much info as possible, don't be a dick if you are selling, and if you find a good deal, buy it.

The biggest issue I've noticed in the collector car market is that so many people think that anything more than 30 years old is made of gold. Some of the people are completely nuts with the prices they ask.

Sign of the times. People are afraid of losing their jobs or don't have one and anyone with money is reluctant to part with it. Also lots of people had money invested in the stock markets and they have yet to recover. Probably another 5 years or so before we get through this and things significantly improve. If you are patient you may be able to find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price, otherwise it is usually low ballers. Good luck!

Try 10-15 years if we're lucky for things to improve.Car market will probably stay where it's at or go lower.

I'm looking all the time. I have seen a lot of good deals out there. You'd be a fool to build one right now IMO. I just sold one recently that would have brought almost twice what i got 6 to 8 years ago. It is definitely a buyers market.

Since prices are all down and you have just lost interest and want something else have you considered looking for a barter or trade? I think this may be the best option out there right now if you just want something different. I have been thinking of doing this myself.

OK then what would be a fair price to ask for my 69 swinger.Way too much stuff to list but factory LM23P9B car ,vinyl top,deluxe interior, woodgrain wheel,factory power disk brakes,am radio ,old restoration.NOS fenders and drivers quarter,nice driver but far from perfect.Freshly rebuilt 340,transmission,complete front end etc etc.Pics under my name or I can send.Im in London On and had this car since 1982.Thanks Steve

I would say..if you are always worried about the price or value of your car (s) maybe this is not a "hobby" you should be undertaking....JMO

I would say..if you are always worried about the price or value of your car (s) maybe this is not a "hobby" you should be undertaking....JMO

x2 look im a fool because i built mine instead of buying

:wack:
I'm looking all the time. I have seen a lot of good deals out there. You'd be a fool to build one right now IMO. I just sold one recently that would have brought almost twice what i got 6 to 8 years ago. It is definitely a buyers market.

what if those 55 mpg cars do hit the roads in ten years and gas prices go to $10 or more a gallon ? Maybe prices will come back but I would not bet the house on it

You'd be a fool to build one right now IMO. I just sold one recently that would have brought almost twice what i got 6 to 8 years ago. It is definitely a buyers market.

I do not believe the current prices are where they "should" be just because of the this comment above. The statement that it is cheaper to buy than restore is quite true right now - unfortunately.. I would prefer to think that the "right price, is about what it would take to cover the cost of restoration. People are going to stop restoring cars if this keeps up and the rest of the old iron that is laying around will turn to earth and be gone forever.
I know I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've had a car for sale all year now for 60-70% of what I have into it - with no bites. Rather than keep dropping and dropping the price to give it away I just stopped trying. I came to grips with losing over $10K on the car but I just can't afford to lose a lot more than that.

I don't think the A-body segment saw as large of a value swing as the B and E's did. It seemed when even a base 68-70 2 dr Satellite or Coronet was going for way too much because they could be cloned to a Road Runner, GTX or R/T car. What I think moving forward will be market popularity. Does anyone here think the neighborhood kid want's an old Dart, lancer, Duster etc? No they are going to get that WRX or Integra Type R they always wanted, just like most of us have the cars we wanted as kids (i.e. young teenagers), hell even I'm too young to have a 1969 Dart being born in 1975. But Mopars are what I got into as a young teen and I still have this one.

Bottom line, you don't build a car for the future financial value, you build it for personal pleasure value. I started my car in 1996 and just this year have drove it for the first time, as I finally drew a line, finish, drive, enjoy or sell and I stood to loose a lot.

Just like the stock market- you haven't lost any money until you sell lower than you bought.

..and there ARE kids who want 49 Mercs!

I do not believe the current prices are where they "should" be just because of the this comment above. The statement that it is cheaper to buy than restore is quite true right now - unfortunately.. I would prefer to think that the "right price, is about what it would take to cover the cost of restoration. People are going to stop restoring cars if this keeps up and the rest of the old iron that is laying around will turn to earth and be gone forever.
I know I'm in the same boat as the OP. I've had a car for sale all year now for 60-70% of what I have into it - with no bites. Rather than keep dropping and dropping the price to give it away I just stopped trying. I came to grips with losing over $10K on the car but I just can't afford to lose a lot more than that.

I agree 100%
and I am seeing that happen right now,people complain all the time about junk here from china but feel that someone here should lose there shirt on their old car?I know of 6 cars that have been pulled from being sold as its just worth more as parts.And their are not many that would go to work for someone for free or even pay the boss to work for them?Probably not!

You say you want to buy a new project car, so isn't it a wash. I don't understand people who fuss that house prices are low when they want to upgrade. Shouldn't they be happy? Warren Buffet said if you are currently buying stocks, like investing in a 401K, you should be thrilled with low stock prices. BTW, I totally lost Frankie on the relevance of 1971 car prices. My grandad used to rant like that.

Part of what is driving the prices down is the availability of parts that wasn't there 10 years ago. There was no AMD, Year One, Legendary & all the others didn't have as broad of a catalog as they do now. So if you did have something in good condition it seemed more rare because it would have been much harder to get the parts to restore one. Supply vs demand. We can even look to ourselves here on FABO for some of the affect because it is such a resource if you are looking to buy a car or parts. Now you have worldwide access to everything. Stuff is available when it wasn't before.
What may drive prices up again, if & when the economy ever picks up, is if the banks will make loans on the purchase of a classic or project car. Then prices would rise dramatically. Hang in there my friends & don't panic.

-
Back