Car Restoration

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
When starting a restoration where do you start? I have the interior out except for glass. The engine is on a engine stand and the trans is in the shed nice and dry.. Do you start in one place and work your way forward or back?

Tear everything apart and use a lot of marked bags for the parts. Get everything media blasted. Do the necessary welding. Get the welds sand blasted again. Put primer on. Put the body filler on. Put the paint on. Put the clear on. Assemble everything again.

Don't fool yourself thinking you'll remember where everything goes. Take pics before disassembly and use baggies to bag & tag all parts, especially bolts, screws, etc.

There's so much to do during a resto, that you may find yourself jumping from inside to outside, front to back. Eat the elephant one bite at a time :cheers:

Don't fool yourself thinking you'll remember where everything goes. Take pics before disassembly and use baggies to bag & tag all parts, especially bolts, screws, etc.

There's so much to do during a resto, that you may find yourself jumping from inside to outside, front to back. Eat the elephant one bite at a time :cheers:

I have baggies, sharpies,and camera.

I hope I don't blow up my camera it's a few years old LOL

Its kind of a nightmare about half way through it you'll ask yourself why did i do this its worth it lots if doubts im there now the reassembly can be really fun because yoy know how it all goes back together

thi is the way i do it take the car completyly apart sell the rolling body shell on ebay sell all the parts you can on ebay then find a great car and bargain hard

i think it depends on what type of resto you want there are some who disasemble everything down to a shell then work from there then there are types that do sections then there are driving resto's i guess it all comes down too how deep your pockets are

Sounds like you have a good start. Most of us start simpler, try to work around parts when de-rusting and painting, end up taking those parts off anyway, make a mess sand-blasting after new parts are installed, ... Just don't imagine you will be done in a few weekends. Think in terms of years if you have a day job, house, and kids. Ignore busy-bodies who watched a few car shows and think everything is simple and know terms like "ready for media blast?". Don't buy the expensive bolt-on stuff like wheels until the end, or they will sit when you could be earning interest on that money. Buying an already-done car from someone way under-water on it sounds nice, but then you don't know what they did unless they have many pictures and it will always be their project, not yours.

cliff your car has been took down enough pull the doors the F clip and get me the welder ready you will need 1/4s b4 we start this inless you want them full of mud i can do that too its all just how you want to do it . the rockers and the floors i would do 1st get them done and outta the way . then move on to the fire wall rot . then move one to the rear wheel houses pach them up then truck pan . then 1/4s . then the few little spots under the top i seen . nothin much needed there tho pull the wind shild out too i bet theres one rot going on under there and it will make it ez'er to put the dash in lol . then work on the sup , brakes , then seats and what not , then motor and trans and your good to go

cliff your car has been took down enough pull the doors the F clip and get me the welder ready you will need 1/4s b4 we start this inless you want them full of mud i can do that too its all just how you want to do it . the rockers and the floors i would do 1st get them done and outta the way . then move on to the fire wall rot . then move one to the rear wheel houses pach them up then truck pan . then 1/4s . then the few little spots under the top i seen . nothin much needed there tho pull the wind shild out too i bet theres one rot going on under there and it will make it ez'er to put the dash in lol . then work on the sup , brakes , then seats and what not , then motor and trans and your good to go

No Asa no mud,no welder. I am doing this the way I want not the short cuts you want.

No Asa no mud,no welder. I am doing this the way I want not the short cuts you want.
short cuts what hell are u ttalking bout .. You ned a welder to fix the rust ...im good th no mud thing .now lets see what short cuts your talking bout im talking bout doing **** the right way .

-
Back