car stalls on hard accel

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday was the first day i got to really drive my duster around town and i found a problem, whenever you goose/nail the throttle from a stop or low speed, the car stalls.

A friend of mine says its probably the accelerator pump and that my carburetor needs a rebuild. Is there anything else that might cause this problem?

I have an edelbrock 1406 carb w/ electric choke. And i found a frayed wire coming from the electric choke.(not sure if that would cause a problem.)

Otherwise the car runs fine.

as was mentioned above, verify accelerator pump is working. Your carb should have a 3 position adjustment for the accel pump.

as was mentioned above, verify accelerator pump is working. Your carb should have a 3 position adjustment for the accel pump.

ok thanks i'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully that will do the trick.

I've got my fingers crossed that the previous owner slapped the carb on and put the accel pump linkage in the wrong spot.

.... and since you found a frayed wire to the choke make sure there is power at the choke & it is fully comming off when warmed up - sounds like the power valve is stuck but yes check for fuel pump psi first....

.... and since you found a frayed wire to the choke make sure there is power at the choke & it is fully comming off when warmed up - sounds like the power valve is stuck but yes check for fuel pump psi first....

If i had low fuel psi, wouldnt the car have trouble when accelerating a highway speeds? I've driven the car on the highway twice and it has good power w/ no hesitation at higher speeds.

But i'll definitely check that next if the accel pump linkage doesnt fix the problem.(might as well start with whats free to check)

stomp it, and when it stalls, let off the pedal halfway. if it runs good from there; acell pump problem.

If i had low fuel psi, wouldnt the car have trouble when accelerating a highway speeds?

But i'll definitely check that next if the accel pump linkage doesnt fix the problem.(might as well start with whats free to check)

There are 3 adjustments on the acc. pump arm. The one closest to the top gives you the most pump shot.

Just my .02 but I personally don't like Performer carbs because I've had 2 do just what yours is doing and I couldn't work it out because there's no adjustment on the secondary air door. It's a fixed setting. The Thunder series is better cause it has an adjustable air door modeled after the old Carter AVS.

There are 3 adjustments on the acc. pump arm. The one closest to the top gives you the most pump shot.

Just my .02 but I personally don't like Performer carbs because I've had 2 do just what yours is doing and I couldn't work it out because there's no adjustment on the secondary air door. It's a fixed setting. The Thunder series is better cause it has an adjustable air door modeled after the old Carter AVS.

well maybe i'll change carbs down the road, this is just what the previous owner had on it and i'm trying to work with it for the time being. Ideally i'd like to do an efi setup in the future.

So i finally got around to trying the accel pump adjustment. I turns out that the accel pump is leaking. So now i'm gonna look and see how difficult it is to replace that accel pump. The adjustment did make a difference in the power delivery at the higher rpms though, so maybe once i replace the pump, it will run right.

I had an Edelbrock issue similar to this on my Duster. I was told it was boiling the fuel out of the bowl. Try a heat reducing spacer or do what I did (my carb was too big for my car) switch to a Demon or Holley. This would fall under the "my .02" category! Good luck

my 2 bbl 318 is doing that now that I put on my headers and dual exhaust. Does the factory '68 2bbl have the capability of adjusting the accelerator pump? I just need to put my 360 in there! Still need a carb, distributor, radiator, fuel pump... every time I add it up seems like I'm still thousands of dollars away :( At least the exhaust is done now!

my 2 bbl 318 is doing that now that I put on my headers and dual exhaust. Does the factory '68 2bbl have the capability of adjusting the accelerator pump? I just need to put my 360 in there! Still need a carb, distributor, radiator, fuel pump... every time I add it up seems like I'm still thousands of dollars away :( At least the exhaust is done now!

Been yrs. since I worked on a 318 2 bbl but I don't think they had much of an adjustment. Probably running lean now that you've freed up the exhaust. Bigger jets should cure that but they may be hard to find. I've drilled them out in the past. Make sure and de-burr them and put a little chamfer on them if you go that route.

Thanks everyone. I ended up figuring it out and it was the accelerator pump. A few days after i made the first adjustment, the tip of the accel pump broke. When i replaced it, the car ran a lot better. Apparently the old pump was sticking a little and must have broke after a few WOT tests.

Thanks everyone. I ended up figuring it out and it was the accelerator pump. A few days after i made the first adjustment, the tip of the accel pump broke. When i replaced it, the car ran a lot better. Apparently the old pump was sticking a little and must have broke after a few WOT tests.

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

-
Back