Car that hooked you on Mopar

-
I bought a 1970 340 tor-red Duster 4 sd bench seat 430 gears J60 Penny's scat track tires on 9" widened ralley's. Had 17,00 miles on it and I bought it for $1700.00 in 1972!

In 1970 (the year I graduated from high school) my father bought a new Roadrunner.....i bought a 68 Coronet R/T that year.

well there actually two mopars that really do it for me.....the superbird, and the 70' hemi cuda" I'm lucky enough to own a superbird, but the hemi cuda has been elusive. LOL!

Fan of petty,lucky man!Thank so far the awesome stories,everyone!Keep it coming.

A friend of mine just out of high school wanted to get a new car and I went with him to pick up a spanking brand new swinger. it had a rubber mat, heater ,orange paint and 4 speed . that's all the options it had nothing else except speed. Dang was it fast for just out of the show room floor. I loved it and had to get my self one or at least a mopar, I liked convetible all the time and couldn't find a ragtop swinger . At the time I had just graduated and had a 64 corvair convertible (not a run of the mill type corvair) I had worked on it for 4 years during school and changed a few things, ie 396 2 sped powerglide out of a wrecked chevelle and everything was mounted behind the drivers seat except the radiator was in the trunk in front. never needed a radio for that thing. I traded it for a 67 ragtop with a 273 auto. that needed the rear end done because the kid that had it blew it up and daddy said to get rid of it, best 300 buck I'd ever spent. got a new rear end and drove it another 150k before a drunk wiped it out.

That really got me into what i knew was Mopar was my aunts 68 Charger 383 and my uncles 69 Charger 440.

My 65 Barracuda, my first MOPAR, that my best friend talked me into purchasing at our first duty station, Eielson AFB, AK. He had purchased a 74 Aspen and found a 65 Barracuda in the local news paper for me. We called and went to look at it. It was white with black interior just like the one I have now and pictured below. It had a 225ci /6, 3-speed on the column, and an 8 1/4 w/posi. Due to the 8 1/4, it was sbp up front and lbp in the rear. I drove that car for 2 years in AK and then drove it to Charleston AFB, SC when Uncle Sam moved us both there. My best friend sold the Aspen and drove a 68 Coronet Wagon. It was 1992 and people thought we were crazy for driving those old cars all the way from AK to SC. The only problem both of us had were flat tires along the way.

When we arrived in SC, he bought a 69 Barracuda with 318ci and 904 A/T. He put a 440 in it and sold the 318 and 904 to me cheap so we put them into my 65 Barracuda. At the time I didn't have a V8 throttle cable so we ran safety wire from the column shifter through the firewall to the carb. I drove it to the MOPAR Nationals a few weeks later and did hand throttle burn outs. Man, that was a fun car.

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 91
My Dad had a DeSoto. I didn't know that it was a Mopar. My brother had a 1963 Dodge 330 with a vibrasonic and a 45 rpm record player hooked to the radio. The car was fast but I didn't know that it was a Mopar. My cousin bought a brand new 1970 Sassy Green Duster. I wanted one just like it but I didn't know that it was a Mopar.

In 1974 my sister sold me her red 1964 Dodge Polara 500 with a 361 cid engine and a four speed tranny as my first car. I was so happy because it was similar to Richard Petty's car in Redline 7000!! OK, I didn't know the difference between a Fury and a Polara. I soon made friends with other guys in my city who had '64 B bodies and I joined a Mopar club. They taught me what it meant to own a Mopar.

I was hooked.

30 years ago,I would scoff at that.Now that is absolutely a bueatiful car.

Back in 1981, i went with my father to look at a vehicle he had seen parked in the grass beside a house.(looked as though it was not being used) He talked with the guy for a few minutes,while i waited in the truck. We left,and without any transaction. Of course, at 16 years old i quizzed him all the way home. All i could remember of the conversation was,formula-s - formula-s - formula-s........... He was hooked on this car !!! although, The guy was not interested in parting with it. He left his number with him,and the guy told him if he changed his mind my father would have first dibs on it. About 3 weeks later the guy called my father after being laid off from work,(my lucky dad) and the deal was done! My father,working for Chrysler his whole life,asked his boss if 2,400.00 was a good deal,his boss told him he would never lose any money on it. For the next 3 years i would drive it up and down the dead end street, (while he was not at home,of course). Then in 1984 i moved to Florida and forgot about the car,UNTIL, i heard my poor father was getting divorced for the (fifth) time,and needed some lawyer money. What a surprise,the car was for sale! This is the wild part,he put a for sale sign in the window(2,600.00),and drove it to work every day for for months,but never got a bite.(remember he works at Chrysler). I was shocked that there was no one interested,and relieved that it was still available,and i,at my age, had some cash! I proceeded to purchase a one way ticket home,and $2,000.00 later,i drove it home.One thousand miles was a fun ride in my 67 barracuda 383-4-barrel-4-spd-formula-s, and the top dropped !!! Yes,i was hooked and i still am !! The story might not be that exciting,unless you were me.There are so many regretful stories out there,so i am Happy to say i still own this after 25 plus years.

-
Back