Car Trailer Tires

-
I did some searching but came up with nothing. What are you using for trailer tires that won't fall apart in 2 years of use? My first set of trailer tires lasted over 10 years and 100,000+ miles, Not even a flat. Goodyears.
After that I have used several brands including Goodyear and 3 different trailers and like stated earlier 2 years max.approx 10-12,000 miles a year.
I picked up my new trailer at the factory and had a flat on the way home.:angry7:....... Please Help !!!!

I put 7ply tires on my trailer. 30000 miles and no problems

Stroker,
The tires that I had on my trailer were rated at 2149#s each for a total weight rating of 8596 #s.

With my Dart on the trailer, my total gross weight of my R/T, car and trailer was 9510#s. Measured on a CAT scale.

Steer Axle 2250
Drive Axle 2860
Trailer Axles 4400

So my trailer tires were loaded a little over 50%.
And the sidewall on a radial flexes as opposed to the tread on a bias ply which will wear out the tread as well as generate a lot of heat.

I pulled my Dart 100 miles on the original trailer tires and they got hot.
Never happened with the car radials.

I also run car radials on my cycle trailer.

The tires don't know if they are holding up a car or a car trailer.
And a properly loaded trailer will not sway, radials or bias ply.

Camry1.jpg

MsVicki.jpg

OC3-2.jpg

NewPortRicheycamry.jpg

P7071753.jpg

PC280850.jpg

P6211716.jpg

P5167718.jpg

When your draggin that trailer sideways turning a corner you are trying to rip the treads right off a trailer tire. Car tires aren't made to handle that. Load your trailer up with your car and take it to a grassy area and make a few turns. Jackknife it around like you are backing it in a tight space. Make a few right and left hand turns like you are at a narrow intersection. Now go back and see how much grass you just pulled up every time you turned your trailer. Now image what happens on pravement where the only thing giving is the tires. Invest in good trailer tires not the cheapy brands. Goodyear marathons are nice trailer tires. I've pulled 5th wheels, goosenecks and bumper pull trailers and have never had to change one on the road. When they are on their 5th year of towing I change them out. They cause to much damage to trailers whether they are campers or car trailers when they blow. It just isn't worth it to me to save a few pennys when someone could run you over on the highway when you are changing out that blown tire. People drive to much with their head in their *** for me to take a chance because I went the cheap way.

Dave, you posed a question and I gave you the correct answer. That's all I can tell you.

Jefflock,
Ever done donuts with your car?? Same thing but worse because of the heat generated by the spinning of the tire.
Also, when you turn your car sharp on newer cement, check the rubber that the front tires leave on the ground.
And my tires are Z-rated.
What are trailer tires rated at?

Not good on the tires to jack knife a trailer. Just because you can does not mean you should. Three axle trailers are even worse about it as the middle axle turns and the front and rear axles just get drug around.

Yep, I know all about dragging tires in sharp turns.
Ever have to make a u-turn in a dealership with a 75ft. long car carrier with a 9 foot spread axle on the trailer?

SLR-2.jpg

No I just got a set of hay trailers. No backing them up very far. Don't rely have to though. I will go to some ones place to deliver hay and they say you will never get out of here. I just unhook, take the squeeze turn the trailers around and rehook.

Attachments

• 100_5054.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 104
-
Back