Car wont idle, any ideas?

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Engine is a 383, 915 heads, Mopar purple 484/284 cam. Eddy performer intake.
Switched to a Carter AFB -67 carb instead of the Edelbrock 750 Performer carb.
With the 750 carb the engine have 8 inches of vacuum, no problems with the idle. Just that annoying of idle hesitation.
Figured I could try the AFB to see if there would be any improvement with the of idle issue.
But... the engine wont idle with the AFB, only way to keep it going is to pump with the throttle.
Any ideas?
Any and all help is appreciated.

Likely a vacuum leak with the other carb.

What is the initial timing?

It probably needs about 18-22* with that cam.

You all ready answered your own question.Pumping the gas well she is not getting enough fuel,dare I say 750 Holley.

Thanks Cracked.
The initial is set to 20 degrees and the total at 35.
Any ideas how to check for vacuum leak with no idle?

Make sure none of the carb linkage is interfering with the manifold.

I usually disconnect and plug everything from the carb to identify the culprit. If it still acts up it's the carb/gasket, etc. Hook stuff back up one at a time to see if the idle changes. I wonder if the plunger springs are too stiff for that cam/vacuum and they are allowing the needles to ride up.

You all ready answered your own question.Pumping the gas well she is not getting enough fuel,dare I say 750 Holley.

I´ve been playing with that thought too a couple of times.
I guess I´m too stubborn to not have a Carter/Eddy carb to work on the engine.

Maybe I´m wrong, but at idle, the difference in size between a 625 and a 750 carb shouldn´t be of any issue?

Get a can of carb cleaner start her up and spray here and there around the intake,carb,aaa **** you probably knew this anyway,I out.

Make sure none of the carb linkage is interfering with the manifold.

I usually disconnect and plug everything from the carb to identify the culprit. If it still acts up it's the carb/gasket, etc. Hook stuff back up one at a time to see if the idle changes. I wonder if the plunger springs are too stiff for that cam/vacuum and they are allowing the needles to ride up.

I believe i did put the yellow springs in the carb, better check that one more time. Didn´t think about to disconnect and plug all of the hoses on the carb.

Get a can of carb cleaner start her up and spray here and there around the intake,carb,aaa **** you probably knew this anyway,I out.

Thanks Snake, will do that first thing tomorrow. Even if I know how to trouble shoot, we all need a reminder from time to time. All things are worth to mention.:thumbup:

-
Back