Car Won't Start While Cranking

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I decided to go fill up the 68 Dart for the trip to Carlisle. I turned the key and it just kept cranking without starting. As soon as I turned the key back to run it started.
Anybody ever have this issue? Any advice? Thanks FABO.

This is just a guess based on recollection, I think I ran into that same situation years ago, and it ended up being the ballast resistor.

This is just a guess based on recollection, I think I ran into that same situation years ago, and it ended up being the ballast resistor.
I had the exact same thing happen about 10 years ago. I suspected a ton of other things but a new ballast resistor fixed it.

So during cranking, the ignition switch feed the coil with full battery voltage from IGN 2

During run the coil is fed voltage from IGN 1 THRU the ballast resister (the result is lower voltage to the coil)

If it starts when you release the key then IGN 2 is not providing voltage to the coil during cranking.

There are a few probable areas that will cause this. (no particular order)
  1. Bad ignition switch
  2. Bad connectors on the ignition switch
  3. Bad connections in the bulkhead connector
  4. Bad connection at the ballast resister

I did a couple searches. I have been using this site for years. Good luck with your thread policing duties.
Don't feel bad. I do searches all the time and I've told the staff over and over and OVER again how bad the search function SUCKS DEAD ELEPHANT balls and they act like it's the best thing ever. IT SUCKS. It's not you.

Quick check to determine if there is power available in the ignition start circuit:
1. Remove a connector from the ballast resistor.
2. Connect a voltmeter probe to the connector with the ignition start wire (Brown & Blue for '68)
3. Turn key to start. Should show over 9.5 Volts and the engine should start (but will stop running when the key is released to run)

If it shows voltage but is weak, it could be battery or could be resistance.
Repeat the test but this time connect the meter's negative probe to the connector and its positive probe to the battery positive.
This will show voltage drop (resistance) in the feed circuit whic indicates poor connections somewhere in the flow path.

Last edited:
Key in start connects the power to the Brown J3 wire and the Yellow S2 wires only.
1689249061306.png

On a points system the ballast resistor is not in the flow path for ignition during start.
Also since the engine runs with key in run, resistor must be intact.

Since the starter relay is getting triggered, there must be power into the key switch and into the S2 wire.
If its an electrical problem it must be between the junction at the ballast resistor and the connection inside the key switch.

Starting sequence illustrated here.

Since the starter relay is getting triggered, there must be power into the key switch and into the S2 wire.
If its an electrical problem it must be between the junction at the ballast resistor and the connection inside the key switch
S terminal and IGN 2 are seperate feeds.

Engine can crank but IGN 2 might not be making contact in the switch or along the IGN 2 path

-
Back