Car won't start

-

bob7four

Reaction score
Just checking with the experts but is my 69 Cuda not supposed to start while the instrument panel is removed?

The two ammeter wires most likely and YOU MUST BE CAREFUL. The big black with an eyelet is the load side of the ammeter and also goes out and connects to the alternator. The big RED with an eyelet comes DIRECT FROM THE BATTERY and is POORLY FUSED by the fuse link.

You must bolt them together and safely tape them off. IF YOU would have SHORTED the big red, you will have welding. Possibly damaged harness. The fuse link is POOR protection.

The wires he's referring to will be thicker than all the other wires. I'm not sure on the 67, but in the 66, they have ring terminals that attach to the back of the Amp gauge.

Unless you disconnected the battery, they are live wires all the time. If you remove the instrument panel and touch them to ground, you'll blow the fusible link (a normal looking wire with a "fuse" built in. It will have a molded "tag" on it. I replaced my fusible link with a 50 Amp fuse in a waterproof holder.

For 67Dart273
To be clear, the black and red wires that were originally attached to a common post for the ammeter are the ones you are saying need to be bolted together. Tgere is another large red wire that attaches to a separate post. The board is even marked RED for that one. My apologies for pestering on this but I don't want to cause a bigger problem. Thanks

Normally there are only two large wires with eyelets. Some cars with accessories such as ragtops tap off the ammeter as well. The red is on one post, the black is on the other. The ammeter is a series device. Black is NOT ground (just pointing that out!!)

If there are three with eyelets I would connect them all

Someone previously had the dash out and have seen a lot of odd things. When I took it apart the black and red were connected to a common post. Maybe they wanted to bypass the ammeter?

Someone previously had the dash out and have seen a lot of odd things. When I took it apart the black and red were connected to a common post. Maybe they wanted to bypass the ammeter?
I currently have a "69 fastback apart. If the ammeter wires were not attached to the guage and instead joined together as you describe it's bypassed. I had to move my car with it apart and it started fine. We made sure everything (switches, etc) were clear of the dash frame before moving it. You might have a switch or wire disconnected.

BTW @67Dart273 knows his stuff so follow his advice.

Last edited:
Yup.

So I bolted all 3 wires together as suggested by 67dart273. Black and red for ammeter and the second red for the convertible top. Everything Came on line. Heater fan, headlights, turn signals even the pump motor for the top. Nothing from the ignition. The battery is a little run down but I put it on a charger. I am perplexed and need some advice.

-
Back