Carb Advice Appreciated

-

e50095

Reaction score
starting to research carburetors, which I admittedly know little about. The Holley store has a 600 replacement carb for $540 (shocked me), and something called street brawler for a little over $300. I also have access (my brother) to a factory rebuilt thermoquad from a 74-77 440 truck, but I'm afraid that'd be over my head. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My app will be a 340 x head motor with a .474 purple shaft (I have other options to tone that down, but thats whats in there now) and a Weiand dual plane (also have a Performer if that's better.) Its going into a 67 barracuda convertible that will be used for Sunday drives and going to car events, never race or really push the motor at all. In the early 80s the motor took my brother to college everyday in his 68 valiant, and I loved the sound of that car. It has a Torker II and a dual feed 750 on it that I have to give back,, which is fine because i think those both run counter to my application. I have a Crane .443 lift cam if need be, and ill be running cast exhaust manifolds.. Appreciate any feedback guys.

Last edited:
I like the brawler carbs, tho im looking at their race series. Low $300s for a new holley style carb, is not bad at all. I saw a test done by Richard Holdener comparing a 750 brawler against a mega-dollar hi-zoot 750 holley, and the brawler was just as tunable and made the same power.
Also, there are the reman edelbrocks. Sometimes returned by people that cant tune, then completely gone thru by edelbrock techs. Better put together than the mass assembly carbs, but with the same warrantee.
I have Mallory reman parts on my bracket car that are thirty years old, still work like a champ.
I am sure you will get lots of feedback endorsing the thermoquad. I have zero experience with them.

I would put that Thermoquad on there in a heartbeat, on a small plenum, small-runner spreadbore intake.
But I would run a much smaller cam with factory exhaust manifolds.

This is one of very few times I have said this.
If you are running that Purple for the sound, then
IMO,
you would be much better off with a Thumpr/Whiplash type cam, that idles with the sound, but as soon as you rev it up, it's modest roots are revealed. The downside is total sacrifice of the extraction cycle, so it will suck fuel. But hey it's for Sunday drives.....

But, if you don't care about idling like a SuperStocker, I would still yank that purple, and put a 360 2bbl short-period type cam in it. I said TYPE . Now you can run 2.94 rear gears and chase mid 20s mpgs on those hiway cruises.

However, when running short-period cams with iron heads, you gotta marry that with the right compression ratio, to run the fuel of your choice. So you gotta be careful. It is very easy to put the engine into a detonation situation that cannot be got out of with pumpgas. This hi-pressure is also what makes that type of engine such a pleasure to drive.
So
Before you contemplate a cam swap, you will need to know four things;
1) your EXACT static compression ratio.
2) your elevation
3) your rear gear/your low gear ratio, and if an automatic, then your stall rpm
4) what octane fuel you want to run.

But if you ran headers, I would leave that purple cam in there, and install at least a 2800TC with any commonly chosen cruiser gear.

Its going into a 67 barracuda convertible that will be used for Sunday drives and going to car events, never race or really push the motor at all.
With the cast iron exhaust and plain performer intake or even one of the weiands, the .443 lift Crane cam will probably make more torque and be more efficient for what you're doing. OTH if you really love the sound and feel of driving the bigger lift cam, then go enjoy it.
With the bigger cam, I'd want to know exactly which Weiand. Get the name and number.
a. Hood clearance can be an issue. Dpends on the aircleaner and hoodline but its somehting you want to check beforehand.
b. IIRC the Weiand I had was for a spreadbore.

thermoquad from a 74-77 440 truck, but I'm afraid that'd be over my head.

600 replacement carb for $540 (shocked me),

My suggestion is not spend money on a new carb at those prices.
I would choose the spreadbore carb and spreadbore intake or, go squarebore with squarebore intake.
For spreadbore a t-quad.
For a squarebore new I'd probably be looking at the Street Demon. It was more reasonably priced. Get the version with the phenolic/plastic bowl as it will better resist heat.
For squarebore used or used - rebuilt, an older Holley 1850 with the milder cam, maybe something like a 3310 with the higher lift cam.
Or Carter/Edelbrock but not the 750.

600 cfm electric choke vacuum secondaries for $308.

Screenshot_20210225-193211_Chrome.jpg

I love TQs but with your situation, a used one may not be the best choice.

I would use the Edel 650 AVS. It has the adjustable air valve on the secondaries & annular primary boosters which give superb throttle response. The primaries are smaller than the secs, for better mileage & response.
Holleys [ & clones ] are best use for door stops....

I just installed a 1906 650 AVS2 Edelbrock on my 69 360 Dart. Ihad previously had a 1406 600 Edelbrock abd before that a 4777 650 Holley DP. The new AVS is by far the best performing carb I’ve had on it. Very resonsive and starts much easier.

-
Back