Carb Angle Plate and Orientation Discussion!

-

Hyper_pak

Old School Chrysler Fan
Reaction score
So I will just say this should be a good discussion topic!

My Colt has a serious nose down attitude.
I have to run a lower float level with the carb tilt.
Can't change it right now, I will need a strut front end to get it up some.
In the mean time I measured about an 8 degree angle on my carb to get close to level.
I purchased a 3/8 solid aluminum spacer from Summit and took it to my machinist.
He said he would run the math and see what he could do.
I have since gotten some help with the formula.
Well with a 3/8 spacer, you can't do 8 deg, it turns into a knife edge around 5 inches across.
The spacer is around 6 something across.
I went on epay and found a 5 deg Moroso spacer so I picked that up.
The kicker in this is my carb faces the valve cover, not toward the front.
You can find lots of angle spacers for that orientation, not so much for "sideways".
This Moroso spacer is for a Roundy round car so it's the way I need it.
See the pictures for an idea of what I am talking about.
My manifold has a slight tilt forward anyway.
More in the next post.
Carb Spacer 5 Deg (1).JPG
Carb Spacer 5 Deg (2).JPG

If you really want 8 buy two 5s and have one milled down to 3.

Are your studs going to be an issue?

You could make the upper adapter have integrated studs and flat head screws to the lower one and the lower one could be modified to accept bolts at an angle.

To continue.
I have been a proponent of the carb facing the valves on a slant.
Chrysler turned it that way on the Hyper Pak.
HP_8.jpg

I know that the Clifford, Offy, Weiand and "others" have it facing forward.
CAIN_INTAKE.jpg

I think for performance facing the valves is the best way, just my opinion.
And on the dyno that makes sense.
But then I started thinking about the car in motion.
Float levels, jet operation, etc.
And a Holley vs a Carter is another variable.
The fuel bowls will be subject to a lot of motion and fuel motion.
Then think about a drag car vs a car that goes right and left.
Or one that just goes left.
So I guess my point is just to get some thoughts or opinions.

If you really want 8 buy two 5s and have one milled down to 3.

Are your studs going to be an issue?

You could make the upper adapter have integrated studs and flat head screws to the lower one and the lower one could be modified to accept bolts at an angle.

At 5 deg the studs are not a problem as you can see in the installed photo.
I need to get it back on the car to see what the 5 deg looks like.

Have you checked with marine suppliers?
Hardin, for example, has a 7* plate (they also have 12* plates)- gets you a little closer.
th?id=OIP.xD2MvXCXhPt97xRgCBoSXwHaGf&w=187&h=170&c=8&rs=1&qlt=90&o=6&dpr=1.1&pid=3.jpg

7° Square Bore Spacer Wedge Plate - Hardin Marine (hardin-marine.com)
I believe this could work for a "sideways" carb... although you could probably have one made to your exact specs for less than what they want for one of these- boy, they sure are proud of them!

Didn't know about them.
The 3/8 flat plate was $30, didn't have a price from the machine shop.
The Moroso was $55 with free shipping, I figured that was fair.
5 might be ok, we shall see.

Stan, I'm not arguing since that's how you want to run the carburetor and I agree Chrysler ran them that way, BUT, all the information I have read everywhere suggests there's no power to be made with the carburetor facing one way, verses the other. We've had members here prove it on the drag strip, too. I thought about running mine sideways, but after I read my one good eye RED, I decided not to. lol Whatever you do, good luck with it and keep us posted.

IMO there are only two things that I can think of regarding carb angle or centrifugal force on the fuel that need to be considered.
1. Don’t let the bowls spill over through the vents.
2. The jets needs to be submerged in fuel the whole time.

Stan, I'm not arguing since that's how you want to run the carburetor and I agree Chrysler ran them that way, BUT, all the information I have read everywhere suggests there's no power to be made with the carburetor facing one way, verses the other. We've had members here prove it on the drag strip, too. I thought about running mine sideways, but after I read my one good eye RED, I decided not to. lol Whatever you do, good luck with it and keep us posted.

I hear you Rob, and I am not arguing with you either. After thinking about the thing I can see where all that mixture swirling around makes a complex dynamic. I see value in both really. I think on the dyno at some steady state rpm's you could really tune the mixture and that is what Chrysler was trying to do with the Sono Ram systems on the slant and the Wedges. But you stay in one rpm very little on a drag engine, so it's a mixed bag. And same for a street car driving around town. I just wanted to see if there was anything to discuss one vs another.

-
Back