Carb Blues, Gonna Let It Go

-
Sounds like the timing or timing chain.
On the tail pipe, that could be everything out of the cylinders reaching the pipes end from poor running and not starting. If it were oil and water, it would not be thin and black. That would be IMO, just the condensed water and carbon mixing up. The carbon is black from a rich mixture and the water will carry some of it away with it and mix.

Wait until it runs and tune it. (The carb.)

65Val said:
Hedge...you should post your location and maybe a list member in the area would volunteer to come over and give you a hand to get'er goin'!

Just my thoughts....

looks like atlanta ga. by the zip!
o.k. who's down there that can help?

It would be more helpful if people just put in there damn location under there screen name!

rumblefish360 said:
It would be more helpful if people just put in there damn location under there screen name!
man i can't agree more! i 've been trying to get that to happen since day1. this would be a prime example for someone to help a fellow member out of a jam.

Calm down, guys. I'm in the Atlanta area. I'll add my location to my screen name if that'll kill the yelling. Damn.

He he he, not yelling. Sorry. But it is a pain sometimes. Even more so in the sale sections. It's like, hey nice car, I wonder where it is. Then when you findout it's on the otherside of the counrty, your like great! Doesn't help me.

Take notice while your here on locations under the names.

Ask BJR racing if he can help. He's in the Alanta area. Or might know someone that can help/is closer to you.

yeah no offence taken or implied. what he said! BJR racing is the man you need to look up. if he can't get you going then something is wrong...

Having a Holley "go out" on you is usually one of 3 parts. Needle & seat assemblies, powervalve or float taking on weight. If you had a replacement carb do it shortly afterwards chances are you have a fuel contamonation issue or are getting bits of rubber hose in the line when you are changing out the carbs from an old hose or rough fuel line edge.....If you had a holley that worked good on the car it would sure be nice to just rebuild that carb with the same vacuum rated powervalve and replace floats, needle assemblies and gaskets. The other problems with Holleys is the deformities of factory castings. You should always check the surfaces of the main body metering areas with a good body file or file made specifically for non ferrous metals. They are almost all recessed around the bottom of the power valve "cave" at the bottom and this causes both fuel and vacuum leaks if uncorrected. File the main body down till you get good gasket compression and many "bad" carbs come alive again. If the car has backfired anytime soon that will kill powervalves on older holleys without a check ball installed in the base plate on the power valve vacuum passage. Enlarging this hole in the base plate from the top down about halfway through and then tap a phillips screwdriver in it with a light mallet to form a cross so the vacuum flows down but will "check" under backfire. Drop in a check ball and this saves lots of headaches. HTH

Belden

somebody inthe atlanta area should step up and give him a hand. I did it for someone else last weekend and got his dakota running right.

newbie here, and i feel good about you guys and your "logic".

good to see there's some "/6 love" in the world.

just got my 70 Valiant(*2 weeks ago, and a SCARY ride down a steep hill to the shop....), and rust, brakes, small bolt patterned wheels...thanks for talking me TOO off the ledge...
now to keep the wife from rolling her eyes when something else is in need....

blind.

Okay, so I put the car in the shop last week. I talked to them this morning, and they said at the least I'm gonna need both intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. Those shouldn't be a problem to find. The mechanic said I'm probably gonna also need a new exhaust manifold and maybe even an intake manifold. Geez.

I see a listing for an exhaust manifold in my Layson's catalog for $375, but no place I've looked seems to have the intake.

I'm gonna check this junkyard that once sold me a wheel hub set and see what I come up with. What are you guy's opinion on using manifolds from the yards rather than going new?

Why would you need new manifolds? Are the ports not flat and even when the manifolds are together? Slant 6 manifolds shouldnt be hard to find anywhere, as they typically never "wore out". Still scratching my head over why the engine would suddenly fail to start due to a gasket leak (run rough or miss perhaps), unless they were just flopping loose.

If the ports are uneven, there is a two part solution. First loosen the 4 bolts which hold the manifolds together around the exhaust heat riser (you will need to replace the gasket between them anyhow). Next see how well you can even the two out. They should be pretty close. If they are still way out, or the ports on each individual manifold are really uneven, a machine shop can face them. Have the manifolds faced as a pair. Second, and this is the important part; when you install the manifolds, leave the heat riser bolts a little loose until after the manifolds are torqued to the head.

I don't know why or how the manifolds could go out. However, the shop that works on my car are really good people, and I trust they know what they're talking about. They said my problem definitely isn't the carb, and there isn't rust in my tank.

I got in touch with the yard that has supplied me parts in the past, and they have the exhaust and intake manifolds for $125 for the set. The gaskets are $13 from Napa. All should be at the shop on Tuesday. If I can get this thing back on the road and running right for roughly $350, I'll be damned happy.

Funny thing -- I gave a coworker a ride home one night from my part-time gig, and he said, from the way the car sounded when trying to crank, that it was the manifold going bad. Being the seeming flake that he is around work (not to mention that he doesn't even own a vehicle), I just blew him off as some bozo who didn't know diddly about cars. We'll see.

-
Back