Carb flooding intermittantly...??

-

finnman1

Reaction score
went through the whole fuel system; holley blue pump, regulator... it seems to be fine up until the carb. ran it last night, punched it, idled down, it stalled as getting too much gas, got out, removed the air cleaner, pump was still on but the engine was off. what do i see? gas still coming through the squirters leaving a pool above the butterflys. throttle position closed but gas squirting through. later... took the bowl off, the needle is seating fine, but not sure about the bowl spring that pushes it back up. the gas should be enough to raise the bowl right? even w/ 9psi of fuel. it seems as if the needle isnt closing after pulling hard sometimes. like i said, it's intermittant and does it once out of every 6 hard pulls.. hmmm. any ideas?
thanks

Holley carbs aren't designed to handle 9psi of fuel pressure. Turn it down to 7 max. I'd replace the needles and seats anyway. Make sure that nothing is binding in the motion of the bowls. Sounds like just too much fuel pressure, though.

Yup dusterdon's right, Had the same problem on my Demon carb. Set your pressure to between 6 and 7 PSI.

Terry

the dumb question from a carb illiterate person is how? the regulator is for 9psi, doesnt seem adjustable. maybe it is... is there another way via altering the carb?? wasnt the stock pump rated at 8 psi or am i misquoting info?

The last time I check a stock pump it had about 4 - 5psi. The regulator has a big nut that locks the set screw that adjusts the pressure. Turn the screw out, counterclockwise to lower the pressure. Does the regulator look like this?
http://www.holley.com/12-501.asp

Chuck

yes the adjustment is the same, i see the locking nut on that pic, wonder how youre supposed to adjust the threaded shaft down to adjust the pressure. looks like the only part that moves is the locking nut that's threaded on there.

must be allen wrench time huh? holley recommends adjusting the floats... don't you need a feeler gauge or special tool of some sort?

There is a brass plug with a screwdriver slot on the side of the float bowl. Removing that plug will tell you were the fuel level is. The fuel level should be at the bottom of the hole. if it is not and the fuel pours out then you need to lower your float. On top of the bowl there is a screw on top of a hex nut. you loosen that screw and turn the hex nut clockwise to lower the float until the fuel gets to the bottom of the hole. Being you have a electric pump and the fuel will pour out until the float is lowered it would be a lot less messy if you are by yourself to lower the float past the hole and raise it gradually until it gets to the bottom of the hole.

Yes, an allen wrench adjusts the pressure. Don't turn the allen wrench down it will raise the pressure, you need to bring the allen screw out some. Adjust the regulator before you adjust your floats.

Chuck

okay. bought a gauge, lowered it to 5.5 psi. went to ajust the float levels; the levels were already at the bottom of the hole where they were supposed to be. thats' fine and dandy, but the screws on top to adjust the floats were all the way closed. they couldnt be screwed down any farther. wouldnt holley, at default, allow some adjustment? it seems strange that they would be adjusted correct at the all the way down postition. or am i just a worry wart?

When the fuel level is right there isn't much left of the screw for lowering the floats much more on some Holleys that I have had. This can be pretty common. Because of this is why too high of fuel pressure is a problem. There isn't enough adjustment left to compensate for the high pressure.

Chuck

-
Back