Carb flooding

-

skinnysteve72

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart with a 225 and Holley 1920 carb, I just rebuild the carb and when I try to start it gas is overflowing the carburetor like crazy, looking for a fix, thanks

Stuck float, try tapping on the card near the float. If not pull the top and check the needle action.

Stuck float, compromised float, stuck needle and seat. You're just gonna have to find it.

I took out the float and weighed it, sitting at 8.9g, don’t know if that’s good or not
What's the float made of? Is it brass or nitrofil? If it's nitrofil, you can dry it off good and gently squeeze it with your thumb and index finger and release it. If there's wet gas finger prints left on it, it's saturated with gas.

What's the float made of? Is it brass or nitrofil? If it's nitrofil, you can dry it off good and gently squeeze it with your thumb and index finger and release it. If there's wet gas finger prints left on it, it's saturated with gas.
It’s nitrofil, squeezed it and no prints, seems dry, this is how it’s sitting, this is my first carb rebuild

image.jpg

Well, IF the float is good, it doesn't sit like that with gas in it. Do you still have the instruction sheet for the carburetor kit? Look on the exploded view and see if it shows a small support spring for the float.

Update, I totally broke the float, so now I have to get a new carburetor as they don’t make the floats, I found this one on mikes carburetor parts, it says it will replace the 1920, so now I’m wondering what that fork like bracket is, kickdown? Will I need to update my linkage?

IMG_1860.png

That's the wrong year model. That's the the early A body.

Post a "Wanted Ad" here for on FABO. Someone is bound to have one reasonable.

99.9% of members are legit, but once in a while a scumbag will respond to wanted ads. If you have any questions, ask. If a seller has positive feedback, they're probably good.

Don't forget you have "float level" and "float drop". When you have too much float drop, like yours, the float can stick on the bottom causing the carb to flood.

Have a look at Rockauto. They sell an Autoline C6018 carb which is in fact a remanufactured Carter BBS ball&ball.
I have one on my slant and it works like a charm
Carter BBS carburetors seem to be far better than Holley 1920.
Carb2.jpg

Whenever I rebuild a carb, with it right side up I blow in it. Then I flip it over, essentially closing the needle and seat and blow in it again to make sure it'll seal.

-
Back