carb for 1971 duster 225 slant stick

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
this old duster has been sitting for 15 years, it is complete but the carter BBS one barrel #2681 ( that is the # on the body of the carb, no tag on it for #)no doubt is not the right carb for it??????, and when I attempt to find its application, the newest vehicle it was in was a 60 pickup!!???? really?????? or is my info NOT correct???
I wasn't even going to attempt to start it before I clean it and get a kit but what carb do I need for this duster?? and the go to place for a complete quality kit??
one my previous slants of the 70's seems like I always had better luck with the Carter not Holley.

Last edited:
this old duster has been sitting for 15 years, it is complete but the carter BBS one barrel #2681 ( that is the # on the body of the carb, no tag on it for #)no doubt is not the right carb for it??????, and when I attempt to find its application, the newest vehicle it was in was a 60 pickup!!???? really?????? or is my info NOT correct???
I wasn't even going to attempt to start it before I clean it and get a kit but what carb do I need for this duster?? and the go to place for a complete quality kit??
one my previous slants of the 70's seems like I always had better luck with the Carter not Holley.

ha, it dawns on me maybe its a 2 bbl! YES! ha...... no wonder I could never id it.

The numbers on the body of a Carter BBS or BBD carb will not ID the carb for you -- those are casting numbers, used on lots of different carbs. Only the tag number will ID the carb, but if you will post some clear pics of it we can get you close enough to work with.

The numbers on the body of a Carter BBS or BBD carb will not ID the carb for you -- those are casting numbers, used on lots of different carbs. Only the tag number will ID the carb, but if you will post some clear pics of it we can get you close enough to work with.
like I said, it finally dawned on me maybe it was a 2 bbl! and it looks exactly like the carter bbd in my 79 volare which has the tag. I ask you this Mr. Dan, should get a kit and float from Mike's carbs, or O reilly or where you suggest?
also is the manifold choke thermostat available somewhere with out the wire at a do-able price?

I like the kits from www.daytonaparts.com -- they have an especially good inlet needle/seat design. Float is going to be catch-as-catch-can; Walker № 100-122 or 100-55, depending on which type you need, which depends on which variant of the BBD you have.

Save yourself a bunch of grief on the choke; put in a № 1232 Electric choke kit. If the PO put on a V8 BBD instead of a \6 carb, you'll wind up having to make a new choke pushrod out of brass rod from the hardware store.

-
Back