Carb for 273 commando

-

65bluefish

Reaction score
I need to replace the 4bbl on my 65 Cuda. Any suggestions on a good replacment that does not require modification? Thanks!

That carb is some what hard to find-or one that small. Why do you need to replace it? Even if the throttle shaft is worn out it can be re-bushed to be made tight again.

for a new inexpensive replacement I think an edelbrock 500 CFM performer wouldn't be a bad choice

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It has a really hard time starting when cold and is getting less than 10 mpg. I have had the carb adjusted and the timing is correct. Intermittent gasy smell while driving.

As suggested before, rebuild the stocker and pay close attention for loose throttle shafts. Most machine shops can re bush them. I have that problem with my original carb. It has vacuum leaks and runs rich. I have an Mopar buddy who owns a machine shop that will rebush mine. I found a near new 600 Edelbrock with electric choke at a swap meet. I bolted it on and will run that until I get my stocker fixed. The Eddys' are close to a bolt on with a little throttle cable adjustment and electrical hook up for the choke. You will also have to buy a cheap air cleaner set-up and just use the base if you want to use your chrome unsilenced top. Good luck, toolmanmike

That's very helpful and sounds like a good route. Iv'e only had the car about 6 months and have a lot to learn. Thank you!

If I may, I also may need to replace the carb on my '65 Commando 273 and I would prefer to stay with the original style carb. So you guys are saying that a 500 cfm carb is big enough? Is that what size of the Carter, 3854s and 4120s are?

I can't find the cfm ratings of those two carbs. I looked in my 66 Dodge manual but no answer there. Your HyPo motor will run good with a 500 or 600 cfm carb.The 500 won't be too small and the 600 not too big. Unless the motor is built up with a big cam I wouldn't go further than a 600 myself. Mike

I have a 600cfm edlebrock on a standard 273 I would not recommend it, had to jet it down a lot. I think a 500cfm would run much better on my engine. But I have not found one at the swap meet that looks like it would be usable for my self imposed $100 max purchase price.

Anybody know where to find and what part number for a rebuild kit for a stock 66 formula s carb. Looks like a 4121S carter carb???

I have a 600cfm edlebrock on a standard 273 I would not recommend it, had to jet it down a lot. I think a 500cfm would run much better on my engine. But I have not found one at the swap meet that looks like it would be usable for my self imposed $100 max purchase price.

Anybody know where to find and what part number for a rebuild kit for a stock 66 formula s carb. Looks like a 4121S carter carb???
I just ran out and checked my Eddy carb. It's a #1406-600 cfm. It runs good on my HP273. Is your 273 a low or high compression motor? The difference in compression could make the difference. Your #4121 Carter is a 66 manual trans. carb with CAP. You should be able to get a carb kit at any NAPA store.
toolmanmike

I just ran out and checked my Eddy carb. It's a #1406-600 cfm. It runs good on my HP273. Is your 273 a low or high compression motor? The difference in compression could make the difference. Your #4121 Carter is a 66 manual trans. carb with CAP. You should be able to get a carb kit at any NAPA store.
toolmanmike

Mine is the low compression motor that I have that 600 cfm carb on. Thanks for the info on the other carb I need to buy a rebuild kit for it and get the latest purchase running.

-
Back