Carb for a 340?

-

DartSport340

Reaction score
Ok guys have a 73 Dart Sport 340. its got headers but other than that its pretty much stock. I have a Eddie 750 on it now thats just not running right and is a bear to start when it sits for more than a week straight..fuel just seems to run out of it or dry up or something as it takes a minute of cranking to get lit when it sits...i could go back a day or 2 later and it will start right back up...a week and its a minute of cranking to get it started...so im looking for a new Carb for it...any recommendations..I was thinking a Holley 650 may fit the bill? Ive looked at and debated the Holley 650,Edelbrock thunder series, and a original style TQ.

If your basically stock,a Holley 650 with vacuum secondaries should foot the bill,thermo-bogs belong in the trash,and Edelbrocks in the can next to them..

If your basically stock,a Holley 650 with vacuum secondaries should foot the bill,thermo-bogs belong in the trash,and Edelbrocks in the can next to them..

I am of the complete opposite thinking, but, that is what makes the world a fun place to be.

I do agree with a smaller sized squarebore carb.

Dose your carb have a choke? I ve run a edel.750 on a 360 with no problems there very easy to rebuild

Whether you go with a holley or edelbrock I wouldn't go larger than a 650 for a basically stock 340. Hope you get it running right soon so you can go out and have some fun.

The edelbrocks are know for percolating the fuel out and being hard to start after they sit for a while. Its perfectly normal because todays fuels evaporate out of carburetors. The Holleys accellerator pumps draw fuel from the bottom of the bowl so even if most of the fuel evaporates out the car will still start right up. I run the Eddie 650 AVS and love it except for the fuel percolation issue.

yeah, im torn on the Eddie/Holley thing. Had both, had problems with both..the Holley always started ok but had a bog/stumble that we could not get rid of(even took it to a shop that restores old cars and had them take a try at it and it seemed ok for about a month then not so good it was a Holley 600) and the Eddie runs fine when running no bogs or stumbles and good throttle response...but leave it sit for a week or more and its like its been sitting a year its that much of a PITA to start. Never actually had a carb yet that actually just WORKED...as in started easily even after sitting a week or 2, and ran right lol.

Ok I guess ive narrowed it down to the Holley Avenger 670, I have a Holley 600 vac secondary in the shed that id have to send out to be rebuilt but its a possibility, and I have the option to get a already made carb from ProMax

The same carb that we did for the Moparts member would work well for you (PRO 650 Vac). This is based off of a Holley and is a 650cfm carb with vacuum secondary. The carb also comes with an electric choke and our billet jet plate for the secondaries. The customer did upgrade to a quick change spring kit. The carb runs $275 and the quick change upgrade adds $15. It takes us normally 7-14 business days to build a carb. Let me know if you need anything further

i had accidentally posted this under "engines" part of the forum so forgive what appears to be a double post i thought I was in this forum part and could not find this post(since i was in Engines instead of here where the opst actually was).

For a basically stock engine, I wouldnt spend the money on a Promax carb. They are nice, dont get me wrong, but it seems like overkill to me.

I've got a 670 Street Avenger like new I''ll sell you for $200 + shipping. Bought off another FABO member, but I'm not going to use it.

Also have an Edelbrock 650 AVS Endurashine I'll sell for $300 + shipping. (Again bought of an FABO member).

I'm going with a 650 Demon for my modified 340 so both of these would foot the bill on your stock 340 nicely! PM me if your interested. Make me an offer on either one. I need the $ to put toward my Demon!

-
Back