carb gasket question

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have another question here. I pulled this gasket from the carb when it came off and it doesn't look good at all. Do I stay with the thicker ( 1/4" ) gasket or do I go with the paper thin gasket that they showed at the parts house today. Which one is better. I personally have always used the thicker ones but..................If I need the thicker one, where do I get it. I have looked all over and cannot find anything on the net or at Summit. It must be simple because I cant find it. here is a pic of it. It is a Holley 1 BBL carb. I cant believe I am running a Holley carb on one of my Mopars. LOL

Attachments

• DSC07713.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC07714.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 230
I did find this one on Summits site: Scott Drake Carburetor Base Plate Gaskets C3DZ-9447-A. It is a paper gasket. don't know if it will work. It says for a Holley 1100 carb.

Actually that gasket doesn't look too bad. I have seen a lot worse. Also, I don't think it will make any difference in performance on a one barrel if you use a thinner gasket.

If you can't find another gskt, and it hasn't torn or peeled any material off,, spread some heavy grease on the gskt,,both sides and re-install it the same way it came off.. (matching impressions)..

the other side has material torn off and it looks like it is separateing in the center. I wouldn't trust it. I would rather replace it now when I am at this stage. I just cannot seem to find one like that.

That's the '74-up carb base gasket. It is 11/32" thick. It is not reusable (with or without grease smeared on it). Find and install the correct new gasket, such as a Walker G847, or you will make new problems and hassles for yourself ranging from incorrect throttle and transmission linkage operation to hard starts and poor idling and poor fuel economy.

Almost looks like it was flipped over anyway, not getting one port over the gasket hole. (But that may not matter on the later Holley's.)

Check here and see what you like from the Walker catalog linked on page 11; also, try Autozone for Sorensen products.

(www.walkerproducts.com/_pdf/holley1barrel.pdf) Copy and paste this link into your browser without the ().

Almost looks like it was flipped over anyway

No, it doesn't. There's no right way up or down on this gasket. It's the same on both sides. The vacuum passage channels on the bottom of the carb are supposed to overlap the holes in the gasket.

having a hard time finding that gasket. Wagner G847. Wagner has it in their catalog but how do you order it. I guess you have to call them.

Thanks Bruce. I have looked all day and could not find one. how did you come up with this place. I googled it and everything. I just bought one. Have a Happy new year, Bill

I just did a quick search and it was three or four down on the page.

I did bookmark it for future reference though.

Happy New Year right back at ya.

-
Back