Carb help * the famous debate and 2x different cars

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Ok !! So my 380hp ( 400hp/440 tq ) crate duster's holley is shot ( 650 cfm : 4777 ) d.pumper , and im looking for another one...a 750 cfm dp would be better i think ? , So i bought a 750 cfm edelbrock for my stock 5.9 magnum ( 300hp/400 tq ) that goes in the big 68 fury , should i put a 4160 600 vacuum that i have on a shelf that needs a rebuilt or the newly bought 750 cfm edelbrock ? fury is 3800 pounds / stock 5.9 magnum / and 2.76 for now , soon will be 3.23 ...So , should i put the 650 dp of the duster on my stock 5.9 , the 750 cfm edelbrock , OR the 600 cfm 4160 vaccum ..... EDELBROCK VS HOLLEY , and im a newbie to adjust carbs , my friend was doing the fine tuning ..hes not around anymore

received_573665181128126.jpeg

Screenshot_20240324_175215_eBay.jpg

received_1619973882166413.jpeg

Last edited:
i don't care for the eddy 750, but that aside...

i'd put the 600 holley w/ vac 2ndaries on the luxo barge and then put the double pumper on the duster.

Just say no to Holley.
Enough choices between AFB, AVS, TQ already without complicating things by including Holley

It looks like your kickdown linkage needs a little massaging. At rest, that throttle pin should be touching the rear of that slot. Or your transmission will not love you.

The Edelbrock AFB style 750 has had tons of problems. Just Google it.

The Edelbrock AFB style 750 has had tons of problems. Just Google it.
Might as well set Your hand flat on the bench & smack it w/a ballpeen, otherwise, You'll be smashing a $400 carb with it.......I know a machinist that did exactly that to one.......the pain in the hand will be over quicker w/o the $400 price tag....
:rofl:

@junkyardhero nailed it in post #2

I wouldn't put a 600 V-sec Holley on anything bigger than a 273. Ok wait;
I tuned one of those buggers lean and it made 40mpg Canadian on my near 200psi 367 , cruising 75= 1850 rpm, in overdrive, so there's that. But it sucked in standard tune on same engine.
If I had to, I guess I'd install the 600 on the barge. But honestly, a 600 only looks like it's a 4bbl. lol

If I already owned the 750 Eddy, I'd put that on either engine.

If that shot 650DP has center hung bowls on it, and nothing on it is broken, and it was made for a Mopar; I'll take it off your hands .........

I tuned one of those buggers lean and it made 40mpg Canadian

is 40mpg canadian similar 40 american units with just more Moosehead and fries with curd gravy?

all kidding aside, i too think the 750 would be fine for either engine. and i'd probably run it rather than buying something new and eating into my hookers & blow budget. but i see "stock 5.9" and "2.76 gear" in a barge and i think: eh, 600 would be fine. probably run out of breath about 90mph in 2nd tho. but it'd be super responsive around town and get okay-ish mileage on the highway. it's not like you're running daytona in the damn thing.

save the DP for the more performance oriented lighter car. it'll work better.

id sale your collection of carbs and buy a new 750 4778 for your magnum and id buy a dual line 850 mechanical 2nd for the crate and learn to tune a holley!

Last edited:
I wouldn't put a Holley 41X0 carb on a billy cart. Too much respect for the billy cart.....

Ok !! So my 380hp ( 400hp/440 tq ) crate duster's holley is shot ( 650 cfm : 4777 ) d.pumper , and im looking for another one...a 750 cfm dp would be better i think ? , So i bought a 750 cfm edelbrock for my stock 5.9 magnum ( 300hp/400 tq ) that goes in the big 68 fury , should i put a 4160 600 vacuum that i have on a shelf that needs a rebuilt or the newly bought 750 cfm edelbrock ? fury is 3800 pounds / stock 5.9 magnum / and 2.76 for now , soon will be 3.23 ...So , should i put the 650 dp of the duster on my stock 5.9 , the 750 cfm edelbrock , OR the 600 cfm 4160 vaccum ..... EDELBROCK VS HOLLEY , and im a newbie to adjust carbs , my friend was doing the fine tuning ..hes not around anymore

MoPar tested the 360/380 engine with a 750 Holley and used 1-3/4 inch headers. If you move to an Edelbrock carb, use the 800.
I use an 800 Edelbrock on my 10.5-1 - 340 with a 241@050 XE-HL from Comp cams.

Use the 750 Edelbrock on the big Fury. My stock long block 5.9 uses the 750 Edelbrock. It also has the RPM-AG and 1-3/4 headers, 727/2500 & 3.55 on 245/60/15’s. Chrome box ignition on a JY vacuum advance distributor.
A Nice package for pirating it out of a wrecked Durango.

The Holley DP’s are nice with higher gear ratio and manual transmissions or with a very loose converter & higher gear ratios.

I wouldn't put a Holley 41X0 carb on a billy cart. Too much respect for the billy cart.....

Don’t let your insecurities and fear stop you from learning how to tune a Holley.

Once you figure that out, you can come back on here and apologize to all the people who listen to your corn fed nonsense.

Stock 5.9 magnum=3310 vac sec 750
380 crate magnum =750 double pumper

Done and done.

The edlebrock 750 I wouldn’t use as a paperweight. Have too much respect for the paper.

Last edited:

I tuned one of those buggers lean and it made 40mpg Canadian on my near 200psi 367 , cruising 75= 1850 rpm, in overdrive, so there's that. But it sucked in standard tune on same engine.
If I had to, I guess I'd install the 600 on the barge. But honestly, a 600 only looks like it's a 4bbl. lol

If I already owned the 750 Eddy, I'd put that on either engine.

If that shot 650DP has center hung bowls on it, and nothing on it is broken, and it was made for a Mopar; I'll take it off your hands .........
Youre kidding right....40 mpg ? Was it a dog or had respectable response?

MoPar tested the 360/380 engine with a 750 Holley and used 1-3/4 inch headers. If you move to an Edelbrock carb, use the 800.
I use an 800 Edelbrock on my 10.5-1 - 340 with a 241@050 XE-HL from Comp cams.

Use the 750 Edelbrock on the big Fury. My stock long block 5.9 uses the 750 Edelbrock. It also has the RPM-AG and 1-3/4 headers, 727/2500 & 3.55 on 245/60/15’s. Chrome box ignition on a JY vacuum advance distributor.
A Nice package for pirating it out of a wrecked Durango.

The Holley DP’s are nice with higher gear ratio and manual transmissions or with a very loose converter & higher gear ratios.
Love this ! Thx buddy

Youre kidding right....40 mpg ? Was it a dog or had respectable response?
with the 600, as lean as I ran it, it was a lil like making love to my wife; she likes a lil tenderness before getting to it. But that carb was only for cruising with. It went on in the morning just before we left, and came off right after supper when we got to our destination.
---------------------------------------------------------
40 mpg Canadian is 32 mpg USg.
Like I said,
1) that carb was set up lean for cruising, in an 11.3 Scr, alloy-headed 367 engine, idling down the hiway, geared for 75=1850 rpm. and
2) that distributor was set up to deliver up to 63 degrees of advance at 2400 rpm. and
3) that combo had been previously bugged out. All I had to do was bolt it on and drive.

Same engine went 12s in the Qtr, @3650 pounds@900ft, with a 750.
Same engine with next bigger cam, and a lil less pressure, went 93mph in the Eighth,@3457 pounds.

Do you know how long it takes to swap carbs? I'm gonna say less than five minutes once you get it it set-up for swapping.
---------------------------------------------------------
And no,
you are not likely to be able to make 32mpgUSg
with any Mopar A-body, with any factory trans, any factory gears; or with any carbureted SBM, that is sporting iron open-chambered heads, at regular-pressure, with a stock-distributor, and any-sized carb, not even a lawn-mower-sized one.
It's almost all in the combo, the attention to the details, and a good part of it is in the body and chassis. Some cars are like bricks, some are slippery as silicon. The 67/8/9 Barracudas can be quite easy to push down the road. You can bug it out with testing.
The alloy heads, for me, were just a tool in the goal of successfully closing in on 200psi.
The Tight Quench was a tool to promote good chamber mixing, to make sure as many molecules of gasoline as possible, were consumed to make the pressure, leaving as little as possible passing thru unburned.
And I run it at 207* minimum water temperature, which is a tool to promote vaporization of the gasoline, on it's way into the chamber at low rpm.
-------------------------------------------------------
this is why I always say; if you are bolting on alloy heads, and if you don't take full advantage of the alloy material, it's practically a waste of money. Crank the pressure up, give them fresh cold air, and run them hot.
Then tune the somewhat unusual ignition curve, and if the carb was previously set up for open-chamber-iron heads, then lean the daymn carb out..... cuz the smog heads are terrible fuel wasters, so you gotta run them rich, just so they can get enough thuput to idle, lol.
I mean have you heard them idle with 340 type cams; it's awful, lol.
----------------------------------------------
My cam is a
276/286/110 with 61* of overlap, and an Ica of 64*, and is 230/[email protected]. Compare this to the 340 cam at
268/276/114 with 44* overlap, an Ica of same 64*
You can hardly hear my cam, even tho it is a full size bigger on the intake/exhaust, 17 degrees(about two sizes bigger) on the overlap. and
it will idle down to 550/500 on a good day, in low gear (manual trans) pulling itself across the parking lot at just 5* advance, smooth as can be. and it will smoothly accelerate from there to 700 at which time it will go WOT with a 750 DP, with nary a single complaint. The Rpms will blaze to 7200 in an instant, with the tires on fire.
This is not a brag.
This is a statement of fact;
cuz anyone can build an engine exactly like this, there is almost nothing special about it.

Well there is this one thing, I got the transfer slot set exactly right at 12>14 degrees Idle timing.
At what Idle-rpm you might ask........
IDK, don't care, if it tics over, it's good to go. It has a manual trans, so if it it ain't idling, it's pulling. If I had to guess, I'd say 700 maybe a lil more, it kindof depends on if I forgot or not, to reset the dash-mounted, dial-back, timing module........................................... lol

-
Back