carb issue

-

honcho

Reaction score
Just rebuilt carb 1 barrell.Runs great except after sitting overnight,won't start unless I use starting fluid,then its just fine for the rest of the day. Any suggestions?? There is not a whole lot to this carb to mess up putting a kit in,but something is not quite right. Thanks:banghead:

It sounds like the fuel is draining out overnight. Double check the needle and seat under the float, gaskets etc.

I'd bet if you run the car, then let it sit overnight and pull the carb first thing in the morning you might find it's wet in the intake. Just my 2 cents.

I guess in the morning I could unscrew the fuel line going into carb,and if no gas comes out that ,that should tell me I suppose?

Well, what I am getting at is the bowl on the carb is probably draining out. I know today's gas is cheap but I doubt very seriously it's evaporating overnight.

Did you put a new one in? It should have come with the kit. You may have something hanging up in there, could be a gasket leak, if it continues to drain off I would pull the carb and look inside again.

It truly sounds like the bowl is draining overnight. In the morning pull your air cleaner and open the throttle slowly and see if you get a shot of gas, immediately. When you begin moving the throttle you should see a shot of gas instantly.

If the fuel bowl is draining overnight, than the oil in sump would smell of fuel, and perhaps read high on dip stick. Diluted oil is bad for bearings. Repair carburetor, and change oil ASAP.

One thing that would allow fuel to leak into manifold is an incorrectly assembled accelerator pump.

Another cause of hard cold start would be incorrectly adjusted choke.

After car sits all night, remove air cleaner, manually flip throttle lever to set choke in closed position. If the butter fly valve does not fully close, the engine will not start easily if at all. If the choke snaps closed snugly than it is doing its job, and should crack open about a 1/4th inch once engine fires.

If the fuel bowl is draining overnight, than the oil in sump would smell of fuel, and perhaps read high on dip stick. Diluted oil is bad for bearings. Repair carburetor, and change oil ASAP.

One thing that would allow fuel to leak into manifold is an incorrectly assembled accelerator pump.

Another cause of hard cold start would be incorrectly adjusted choke.

After car sits all night, remove air cleaner, manually flip throttle lever to set choke in closed position. If the butter fly valve does not fully close, the engine will not start easily if at all. If the choke snaps closed snugly than it is doing its job, and should crack open about a 1/4th inch once engine fires.

Good point on the choke, but since he is in Texas, I figured it to be a little warmer there. I run no choke at all and mine starts, just runs a little rough until it warms up.

thanks for all the input,I also thought about putting the original needle and seat back in. The accelerator pump really goes in one way and I can't see installing it wrong,but I am no carb expert,so I may be missing something. I will check tomorrow and see if any gas will pump into carb cold. You know ,this carb is so basic and simple,I can't believe I am having this problem

I hauled gas for 7 months. The new stuff evaporates very fast. Especially the ethanol blends.

Have you done the fuel line mod? It may be boiling out.

Check the outside of your fuel pump for a leak.

Sniff your dipstick for the smell of gasoline.

When attaching your fuel line to the carb the seat moves? It changes the float height.

I am not following you rug trucker on attaching line to carb the seat moves. Are you saying I may have the seat too tight or too loose???

-
Back