Carb Issue

-

toddlaine

Reaction score
I have a new Edelbrock 1406. Two pumps and starts right up. The problem is when I shut down and try to start up right after or later in the day. I do not give any gas, but have to turn over a couple of times to start. Any info will help. Embarrassing trying to leave and your car does not start right away.

Check the reluctor gap in the electronic distributor.

I converted my 340 to elect ign and the car wouldn't start sometimes when warm. Turned out that the reluctor gap was .030" and should have been around .007 (look it up to be sure). I adjusted it with a brass feeler gauge and it starts fine since....

Try putting an insulator under the carb. Eddy's seem to heat soak easy so an insulator usually cures it.

Or,,,,,somewhat cures it sometimes.
Right Eddie owners? :D

Craploads of us 14 series owners feel your pain.

Try putting an insulator under the carb. Eddy's seem to heat soak easy so an insulator usually cures it.

For fuel boiling, I recommend using a 1/4" thick carb gasket. They have them at Mancini racing.

If you use those thin aluminum plates and thin carb gaskets, stacked, you can break an ear off of the carb baseplate.

For fuel boiling, I recommend using a 1/4" thick carb gasket. They have them at Mancini racing.

If you use those thin aluminum plates and thin carb gaskets, stacked, you can break an ear off of the carb baseplate.

I, as well as a lot of the others have that 1/4" gasket, and we still have that exact same problem. (Not as bad with the gasket)

I, as well as a lot of the others have that 1/4" gasket, and we still have that exact same problem. (Not as bad with the gasket)

It works for me so far.

Maybe you need to move to a cooler climate up north like me.... LOL!

Your Arizona heat may be a little harsher than our summer months....

So, trail beast, are a gonna help or sit back and take it easy while lightly trashing the carb.

So, trail beast, are a gonna help or sit back and take it easy while lightly trashing the carb.

I'm gonna sit back and lightly trash the carb at this point since we have not found a solid solution.
I have already been heavily involved in possible solutions for ALL of us that have this problem, but have not found a total solution yet except maybe this.
www.coolcarb.com
I don't like a few of the reviews that say they tend to seep the insulator out when they get hot though.

So Rumble, are you going to sit around taking it easy while lightly trashing me, or do you have anything helpfull to add? :D
Jees, it's not even December yet.
It looks like it's going to be a long winter.

I'm gonna sit back and lightly trash the carb at this point since we have not found a solid solution.
I have already been heavily involved in possible solutions for ALL of us that have this problem, but have not found a total solution yet except maybe this.
www.coolcarb.com
I don't like a few of the reviews that say they tend to seep the insulator out when they get hot though.

So Rumble, are you going to sit around taking it easy while lightly trashing me, or do you have anything helpfull to add? :D
Jees, it's not even December yet.
It looks like it's going to be a long winter.

LOL , i would be one of those 14 series owners that had hot start problems, the HEI ignition i installed cured 75% of it all by itself

thanks greg !
wavesmile.gif

I've been down this road. If you search you will see several posts about my 1406. Basically, I tried almost all of the suggestions. 1inch, 1/4inch spacers, fuel pressure regulator,blocked crossover,fuel return,vented/unvented caps, different plugs,new ignition, new mini starter, and worked with Edelbrock tech. I haven't jerked the carb off cause it cost money to replace. My fix is live with it for now but, try this for quicker starts. Slightly crack the throttle open just enogh to get the throttle plate to open and mine starts quick. Too much and of course it revs up but, better than slow start. Good Luck Craig

LOL , i would be one of those 14 series owners that had hot start problems, the HEI ignition i installed cured 75% of it all by itself

thanks greg !
wavesmile.gif

The HEI made mine better too, but not completely gone.
Being in the 70's instead of the mid 90's helped a lot though.:D

The reason I ask is that some younger people have only driven fuel injected cars.

From what it sounds like to me, he may perceive a problem when all it is, is being unfamiliar with, driving something that has a carburetor .

I am 34, I had a 86 CJ7 with a carb and changed it to a throttle body. So I really do not know carbs and their quirks. Any info will help.
Thanks,

You didn't mention,if it was hot (weather) when you were driving. Ede's do have a perpencity to heat soak (boiling fuel),when shut off,under hot driving conditions. When hood clearance is an issue,I use the Edelbrock #9266 insulator gasket. This gasket has pretty much eliminated all my hot weather driving conditions. If hood clearance isn't an issue,I use a 1" phenolic spacer.
Hope this helps.

Or yes,you can get a Holley,and be ready to futz with it more than a British motorcycle....:D

Or yes,you can get a Holley,and be ready to futz with it more than a British motorcycle....:D[/QUOTE]

X2!!!!!!!

Just purchased the insulator gasket hope it works. Can some one explain more on what is exactly happening.
Thanks all,

it is fuel percolation. the engine heat through the intake is soaking the carb and in turn the fuel starts to boil when the flow is stopped . hot fuel does not burn efficiently. when you start the car and get cooler fuel into the float bowls and into the combustion chambers, it will start, but a lot of times it will have flooded by then. a hotter spark will ignite the fuel easier .

-
Back