Carb issues?

-

Andre68

Reaction score
Okay so I haven't started my 68 dart in a couple weeks. It's a '70 block 318 stock. So this motor is kinda a hard starter at first. I will kinda have to crank it for a little to get it to turn on, or spray some gas down the carb. But once it's on it works fine and it will turn on easy. It's just that initial start of the day.

Here's my problem. I spent the past week putting in hedman headers and cherry bombs.

I had trouble trying to get it to start, it would just crank. Hiccup a little if I sprayed some starting fluid down the carb. I figured maybe I was out of gas. So I went and got a 5 gallon filled. Poured it in, a little down the carb. The car fired up but the Rpms would sky rocket. So I would turn it off instantly before it hit 5,000 Rpms. I then tried it while keeping the butterfly valve closed and the car would idle at around 1000-1200 Rpms, if I would begin to release the butterfly valve the Rpms would go up. So closed butterfly valve, Rpms are at like 1000, the more I release it the higher the Rpms continue to go.

Personally, I'm a little stumped because, I get the Rpms being up when the valve is closed. But they should drop as the valve opens, not go up like I'm flooring it.

The car ran fine until today. Didn't mess with a thing. All I did was put an exhaust system on it.

I think the carb may have gone bad. It's a good 5 years old, I had it in another car, it kinda gave me some issues so I swapped it out for a new one. I decided to rebuild this one with a kit I bought off eBay for 23 bucks. Maybe it's done?

The carb is a edelbrock 600 cfm manual choke.

Did you not damage or alter the throttle cable while installing headers ? Throttle doesn't look closed.

After sitting for 2 weeks,the gas in the bowls is evaporating. That's why your having starting issues after sitting for an extended amount of time. The only way to avoid this problem is to
add an electric fuel pump.

Okay cool thanks for the input. I don't believe I hit anything? The headers went in from the bottom. Maybe I did though. How does a closed throttle look like?

Any idea on how to fix this?

Pull the throttle cable back off and see if the bracket moves toward the front of the engine. By the picture it looks like the secondary's are open. Hard to tell from here.

Pull the throttle cable back off and see if the bracket moves toward the front of the engine. By the picture it looks like the secondary's are open. Hard to tell from here.

That is the weighted plates above the throttle plates Dave.
Eddies have two sets of plates on the secondaries.

Andre, your throttle is open about half way.
Something got pulled or bent when you put the headers in.

Look at the distance I marked in this pic, and you will see how far open it is.
There should be NO gap between those two places at idle.
Good thing it wasn't in gear when it started, you woulda never seen it again. :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 210
Look at the distance I marked in this pic, and you will see how far open it is.
There should be NO gap between those two places at idle.
Good thing it wasn't in gear when it started, you woulda never seen it again. :D
THATS' scary!

Hose has a clamp, looks fine from here. Nice catch on the throttle adjustment.

-
Back