Carb problem bad hesitation edelbrock!!!!!

-

kt340sport

Reaction score
340 everything stock , car idles great, cruises at 50 60 70 miles an hour great , but hesitation off an idle streets lights, stop signs ect, have 4106 edelbrock electric choke new base gasket , no leaks that i can find , what hole should the accelerator pump be in , and never taken carb apart , anybody have any suggestions , this is very annoying, thanks

there are 3 adjustment holes for the accellerator[sp] pump.

the closest to the carb shoot more the futrthest out from the carb shoot less.

after that look into a larger shooter.

are you sure you have no surging at cruise? cause that could be the rods are too big,-leaning it out.

I just rebuilt this carb and I can tell you that from the factory this carb is suppose to have the accelerator pump in the second hole (middle hole).

You can pick up a rebuild kit pretty cheap at your local auto parts store.

I got mine at advance auto parts for $45.00 I think it was, thats all new internal gaskets,base plate gasket,o-rings,springs,clips,new accelerator pump and spring,filter screens,rebuild for electric choke (if you have it) and more.

I did however put a new set of jets on order too because when I was removing the stock ones (soft brass) the heads of them rounded and I had to easy out one of them.

thats only because I wanted to do a thorough cleaning of all the nooks and crannies but i could have left it behind.....my carb came off a mud truck and was full of sand so I made sure to clean ALL OF IT.

the kits does not come with new floats and it does not come with new metering rods BUT you can order them separately for a decent price if need be.

$100.00 would do a FULL rebuild.

I have pictures of my carb while I was rebuilding it,the kit I used and during the polishing stages in my duster restoration thread (link in signature below) check it out!

it's the annodized lever on the throttle lever side just forward and above.

carb1.JPG.jpg

That 750 on a 340 tends to be jetted lean...that's why it has the off idle stumble..It must be pretty close for your set up as you don't mention any surge at speed.

also you said its a 4106 edelbrock? do you mean a 1406?

if so it is a 600 not a 750 as someone else has mentioned.

Make sure that you're getting a good squirt from the very first movement of the throttle. Also make sure your vacuum advance is working and the timing is set correctly.
If you back off the timing to keep it from pinging, it will bog, run hot, and get worse mileage.

JMO, i was in the exact same spot that you were in a few weeks ago. Despite what the edelbrock manual says, i would actually start by replacing the accelerator pump. It's the simplest part to replace and the cheapest.

When my car was having this problem, i tried to change the linkage with no success and it turned out that the accelerator pump was worn and sticking. At some point it wedged in place and the linkage snapped off the tip.

I would start by pulling the airhorn and checking FLOAT DROP. I would guarantee that its off. Should be 15/16"-1" from airhorn gasket.

Thanks alot guys , did find one thing i took the coil off last year to re route wires and hose for vacuum advance was under coil blocked off , changed toi top hole on accel pump but never tried yet will let know tomorrow, thanks again.

-
Back