Carb rebuilder. Dana question.

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone out there could point me to someone that can rebuild carbs. I bought a tunnel ram set up for 440 carbs need gone though. I took one apart to see what all it involved. Im still in the learning process here. But I have since decided that I might need to have the rebuilt since I need them to be the same. Im willing to pay cash. Thanks guys. Thought I should add. There Holley tunnel ram carbs. 600cfm

Second question so I dont need to start a thread. Im looking at buying a dana rear. Ive found a few from ford and dodge pickups. Im going to have to shorten them. But the break setup wont work. When I buy the new ends after cutting it down what breaks will work for it. I need to get to the BBP as well? Is it possible that the breaks from my 7 1/4 will work with the new ends?

Next question. What are the best 440 stock heads for power producing?

Well I know my Dad sent his carb out to Dick Landy inc. They can tune it for you too. Motor never ran better after that. Or you could get a how to book and a rebuild kit and do it your self.

If the Dana is going to need shortened. New axles will be needed so you can up grade to BBP then. As for brakes they make kits that will fit a Dana with Mopar axles and I think 8 3/4 brakes will work too but am not 100% on that one.

440 heads? Sorry don't know that one but I do see guys running 904's a lot.

Hope that helps some. It is a bump for you any way.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply Burnt
I plan on going tubbed so I figured any Dana 60 will work. Now Im looking for one with the best internals. Gears and locker and such. The brakes are what I was worried about. Its the last peice of the drive train I need. I was looking for 8 3/4 but the prices are way up there and I might as well go Dana if Im going to spend the money then I dont have to worry about it.

You can buy a Dana 60 from strange built to the hilt set up the way you want for 1800-2000 bucks. They don't come with brakes though but they have brake kits too. May be the way I go with my drag car.

Just a thougt.

I thought about that. But this is my very first build of any kind. I have an Idea of what I want. But I also what to learn some of this stuff. Im pretty good at tearing stuff apart. Its just getting it back working again. Im going for the pro street look. But want to keep it street friendly. Do you think 4:10s are too low for street? Tire size will be 31-33x18-19 in that range. I want to be able to cruise on Hwy too.

I can rebuild your carbs for you. I am in Floral City in west central Florida. Are the carbs 600 Holleys or AFB/Edelbrocks? I also narrow rear ends, etc.
Pat

I can rebuild your carbs for you. I am in Floral City in west central Florida. Are the carbs 600 Holleys or AFB/Edelbrocks? I also narrow rear ends, etc.
Pat
Well I wish I was in Florida. My parents live there. There 600 holleys. Non vacuum advanced tunnel ram carbs. The one I tore down I have ALL the parts to it. I was just wanting to see what all was in one.

eaglesguy, I would suggest sending the carbs to Pat, unless you really need to watch the rebuilding in progress. Pat has forgotten more carburetor information than most of us remember. In case you have not seen some of his other posts, he is engineering and fabricating some unique high-rise dual quad manifolds for MoPars. They seem to be truly revolutionary.

I actually have read alot he has posted. Im sure he has forgotten more then I will probably know. Ive read some of his stories. Some of the folks hes associated with with are legends in the MOPAR world. This is why I posted the question. Was to get someone who knows what there doing. I heard that in tunnel rams the carbs have to be matched almost to exact for proper operation. Im sure I could rebuild one but not sure that I could make them identical. If you could pat give me a general idea what im looking at price wise. I realize nothing is ever set till you get your hands on them and figure out what they need. Thanks for the replys guys. I can google till im blue in the face or come here for trusted information.

Making them physically idendical is probably the easy part. What scares most people is sychronizing them. Pat mentioned that it is really a fairly easy process using a vacuum gauge. Pat be da man!

Cutting a Dana down is no big deal. The brakes you use depends on which ends you put on the rear. For simplicity, put Mopar ends on it is the easiest.

The 8 lug truck rears are only good for the housing, gears, yoke and carrier. Once you cut the ends off, everything outside that cut is junk for your swap, including the axles.

I do plan to use mopar ends to keep it somewhat normal. The one im looking at is 150 bucks has 4:10s in it already and a locker. Ill need new bearings and axels and breaks.

After chatting with Pat via email. He informed me that my carbs are junk. Not what I wanted to hear but, better to hear it now then after dumping money into them. He recommends these List 1850 600 cfm Holleys or a pair of 600 Edelbrocks. For my tunnel ram set up. I have You do have 4224 center squirter. Which I assume are race carbs. So Im in need of List 1850 600 cfm Holleys. Decently priced ones please. Im open to any ideas. If you come across a good pair on ebay or craigslist let me know please. Thanks Pat for the good advice.

Are the carbs that I have worth anything? Maybe a trade for cores and some cash. Pictures are what I have. I have 2 of these.

carb.jpg

-
Back