Carb selection help

-

Canyon

Reaction score
I got a new motor recently and I'm not sure my 600 cfm edelbrock is keeping up but I just wanted to see what you guys thought. It's a 360 .30 over with j heads with the bigger valves, pretty mild cam I spin it to about 6k, the one reason I think it may be to little fuel is when I'm getting after it a little once I shift to second it kind of bogs and falls on its face then picks itself back up. I'm by no means an expert so let me know what you think! Thanks for the help guys!

This carb is a AFB style? When you smackthe pedal down, the secondary door opens up with a slam and there is a momentary lean condition that produces the bog. Ether rollinto the throttle instead of slamming the pedal or use a AVS styled carb (AKA Thunder series) or a Holley.

This carb is a AFB style? When you smackthe pedal down, the secondary door opens up with a slam and there is a momentary lean condition that produces the bog. Ether rollinto the throttle instead of slamming the pedal or use a AVS styled carb (AKA Thunder series) or a Holley.
I think I'll move over to over to a Holley think 600 is still a good size for it?

Yes, though a 750 could be used and used well. And, a lot depends on what your doing, expecting out of the car as well as a ton of missing info about the car like;

Cam size
converter stall
gear ratio
tire size
car weight

(Headers? exhaustsize, etc..... )

Yes, though a 750 could be used and used well. And, a lot depends on what your doing, expecting out of the car as well as a ton of missing info about the car like;

Cam size
converter stall
gear ratio
tire size
car weight

(Headers? exhaustsize, etc..... )
Cam duration 278/288 lift 421/444
2400 stall
Shitty 2.90's at the moment but will be swapping the rear end and going with 3.73
Weight is around 3200
Long tubes 1 5/8 with 2.5in put the back

I think you'll like a 750 up top once you get the better years in there.
(When you give cam duration specs, they should be given at the .050 measurement. Advertised duration can vary widely bs. The .050 specs.)

I think you'll like a 750 up top once you get the better years in there.
(When you give cam duration specs, they should be given at the .050 measurement. Advertised duration can vary widely bs. The .050 specs.)
Alright good to know! Thanks rumble always appreciate the help!

if I understand your shifting to 2nd the throttle is allready open, so the secondary air door is not slamming open causing the issue. could be floats set low, low fuel pressure, or jetted lean. a 600 is enough for your combo

Before you do anything, swap the gears out. That alone may solve some of the bog.And if you are contemplating a higher stall, do that first too.With a 278* cam,6000 is short shifting. Depending on what tranny ratios you are running, possibly short by a lot.
With enough compression, the 2400 might be ok, but if your Scr is low, and you are feeling the softness at takeoff, a bigger TC will work wonders.
I run a 276/286/110 with lift of .549/.571. I run a stick.I run a 750DP, which I have never found too big, nor too small.I found 600s sorely lacking......
The formula is ; (CID X RPM)/3456 = carb size, so (360 x 6500)/3456 =677cfm

Last edited:
-
Back