Carb size ?

-

Jmcginnis89

Reaction score
I have a /6 and was wondering what 4barrel every one was running for best overall performance ?

I think the answers will vary greatly for different builds, but generally, the smaller 4 barrel Carters work well. I plan on running an 800 CFM Thermoquad on mine, but it is going to be a somewhat radical N/A slant six. I think the factory used the Carter 400 4 barrel on the Hyperpack if I am not mistaken. I think 400-500 CFM would work well on most.

Probably not with a good hot ignition, a properly chosen camshaft, a good flowing header and certainly if you increased compression. It should work well even without the compression jump with the other mods. The compression increase would really make a power difference though.

Holley 80453 (390 CFM vac sec) works well for mild to moderate 6 cyl builds. A 500 AFB/Edelbrock or 470 Holley Truck Avenger would do well if you have are running a mild cam and headers. The Holley 570 Street Avenger will be able to support just about anything a street /6 will ever do, but it would be overkill for a basically stock or really mild engine.

A 390 isn't enough for a lawn mower. As expensive as they are I wouldn't dare waste that money.

if you are a cheap SOB like me, it's not a 4 barrel but the big rochester 2 barrel on pontiac/buicks had 400 cfm, I saw on once on a /6 and it ran like a scalded dog, the guy had machined the manifold to accept it, they are cheap and plentiful, I saw a company once, cant remember who it was took them and worked them to 500 cfm for circle track guys

correct me if im wrong but even used a 4 barrel manifold for the /6 is 200 bucks
plus the cost of the carb

as mentioned as well is the prohibitively high cost of the 390 over 300 now

power wagon you are right but I cant remember the last time I saw a WCFB

another possibility is the Rochester 4 jet they came in a variety of cfm's

First let me say congratulations on owning that great car :color:
To survive this long and be so complete and solid :cheers:
About 4 years ago I bought :eek:ops: My wife did :D as a gift a DP 390 Holley that is on
a 170/6 and it has been a great carb on the road for 25k miles now.
Trouble free and wow what a difference it made, But... I did open my exhaust up at the same time along with running fresh air system to my little engine
I like the 390 because the primaries are small enough and don't run fat/rich and when I do my rebuild/new big valve head (shaved 30k) and take about 70 thousandths off my block (shaved) :coffee2: my 390 can be bumped up :wink:
When I started my build the 390 was the mach for me from what I was told.
But as time has passed it sounds like there is more carbs to choose from.
This is what I have been running for 25.000 miles I took the lawn mower system off this little 170/6 and waggin (a member here) split my exhoust.
You have a 225/6 8-) witch is great because you can buy headers for it unlike the short stroke low deck 170/6 that came in my 66 Valiant.

Again Congratulations on a great ride Jmcginnis89 :cheers:

Attachments

• Speep%20056.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 217
  • June%2520third%25202010%2520helping%2520Creed%2520Clean%2520My%2520Closet%2520area%2520OUT!%2520.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 184
390 cfm is now $415 at Summit

plus at least $200 for the intake

gaskets, mods, frigging, air cleaner, linkage, $100

Grand total over $700

Attachments

• Speep 062.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Speep 061.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 199
390 cfm is now $415 at Summit

plus at least $200 for the intake

gaskets, mods, frigging, air cleaner, linkage, $100

Grand total over $700

390 cfm $310.00 to my door, intake $100 back 4 years ago.
Just saying it has been good to me and was advised by a few /6 gurus here
and I went for it........ I never pay full price and I hope Jmcginnis89 keeps getting advice on how to get to where he wants to be :coffee2:

Man that looks great, is that the Dutra duals on there?

I call them WAGGIN duals (he built them for me) , A letter for each cylinder, so there is a G3 and a G4:coffee2:

Attachments

• JEEP%20FRESH%20AIR%201993%204_0%20131.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 196
cool, always nice to see a fellow "never pay full price for anything" guy, I really like what you did with the exhaust, home brew stuff is good, how did the steaks taste after the manifold "cooking" ? LOL

cool, always nice to see a fellow "never pay full price for anything" guy, I really like what you did with the exhaust, home brew stuff is good, how did the steaks taste after the manifold "cooking" ? LOL

Nothing a pile of cherry limps could not burn off :D and then a good cleaning :glasses7:, That grill is history now, I did not like cooking with gas, back to charcoal now.

I would like to learn more about this carb ( a more mopar look) like this one a member is running here. could be a good match for Jmcginnis89 to run.

Attachments

• 65%20dart%20010.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 222
if you want a slant to run, pull the head and have it milled, and ported at a minimum... if your plans are something more then 1.7/1.44 valves blended in, upgraded manifolds(duals like memikes or headers) offy intake for street use (small port and plenum for fast velocity) and a 400-550 cfm carb. if your going to upgrade cam for anything other than a RV torque cam then dont bother with comp, call erson or oregon.

i would start a 220* @ .050 with max lift.

normal rules of thumb are the three C's. Cam, Carb, compression. slant are Cam Compression and Headwork...

Attachments

• 0330110927.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 231
Here's the thing about Holley carburetors. If I were going to run one on a mild slant, it would be a simple, cheap single line 600. Since they are a vacuum secondary carburetor, they are only as big as the engine demands. Real simple to tune the primaries down if they are too rich. The 390 is essentially a tunnel ram carburetor and designed to be used in pairs. A stock super six carburetor probably comes close, so the 390 is really not very much of an upgrade, plus, it's very expensive. Can they run well? Sure. I just wouldn't recommend one to a newbie for a slant, because a 600 will do the job far cheaper and have more on tap for when you upgrade the slant later on. You can find a 600 at a swap meet for 20 bucks and a kit for about the same, build it yourself and you have a cheap carburetor that will out perform a 390 any day of the week, but be mild enough tuned down to run on a stock slant. It's not that I have anything against the 390. They're good carburetors. But even a mild slant with dual exhaust will flow more than a 390 can deliver at high RPM. To me the 600 OR the smaller Carter is just a no brainer. Another choice although not a 4 barrel is the Holley 2300 500 CFM 2 barrel.

I have that 74 plymouth gold duster in the pic. It has 3,906.3 miles on it . It was my great grand mas, I sold it when I was 16 . Then found it and bought it back its been setting 14 years and I put a batterie an ignition module on it runs great . Just bought a clifford intake and a set of Aussie headers for $350 going to buy valves ,cam and have the block and head milled. just needing help on what all to buy so far intake and headers was a great deal just asking what I can to get help with my build. It is a very strait car, great interior needs a vinal top and that's it besides the engine build I thank all of u for all the help it is needed.

-
Back