Carb Size

-

stan marshall

Reaction score
I Read The Discussion About Carb Size For A 360. Most Thought That 750 Was Best. In The Mopar Muscle Mag There Is An Ad For
A 408 Sb Crate Motor With A 600 Carb. Why Would They Stroke It To A 408 And Then Use A 600 Carb? Just A Question I Was Wondering About. Stan

cause it's very mild and unless the heads have port volume and or a giant cam and even then it won't buzz but the high side of 5800rpm, if that, and If they put a 600 hundred on there it wasn't cause they were looking for ultimate power, more like vacuum [smaller venturi] and gas milage.

Hey you could put a 500 2 barrel on a 360 or even a 383 for that matter, hey how bout a 440.. jmo

definetly don't always go by what a ragazine says. Some of those guys don't even know how to write good much less know what works best on an engine. I used to love Mopar muscle yrs. ago but anymore their tech articles are very lacking to say the least. I'd put at least a 750 on a 460 hp 408. Heck that's what I run on my 360 after trying a 600 and finding out the 600 was too small for it nad it's only about 375-400 hp.

IF its making any kind of power a 600 is way too SMALL for a 408,i run a 850 on my 416 and 360..don't believe anything you read in magazines..

Look at the HP that NASCRAP restrictor plate motors put out and then ask the question again.

Run a 750cfm carb and call it good.

I agree. My 340 uses a 750 hp base that flowed 920cfm...carbs are relative to a combination...decide what you want out of it and make it work. Relative terms a 68 340 used a 625 cfm Carter 71 340s used a 750tq and 850 TQ's were used on some 318's in later years. Its all in what you want the engine and car to do for you.

I used a 750 double pumper on the stock bore 360 in my '69 Dart. It had ported heads, standard deck height, flat top pistons, RPM air Gap intake, roller rockers and the smallest solid lifter cam/kit Hughes makes. Gear was 3.55. It absolutely loved that carb!! The engine turned 7,000 rpm without a sweat. It was a 4-speed.
Pat

You can over carb a motor, what is it going to be doing? If your racing it, a 600 is no good. For cruising to car shows, a 600 would work. A 750 wouldn't be too big thats for sure.

Look at the HP that NASCRAP restrictor plate motors put out and then ask the question again.

Yeah with flat tappets too, but the cam lift is around or over .700!!!!!!!!and the heads flow 425cfm!!!!!!!!!!!

With the right metering blocks and bleeds you can do the smaller carb, but there is more power in the bigger 1.

The Information I Got Was Not From Mopar Muscle Car Editors. It Was A Add For A Indy Crate Motor. I Just Thought That A Co That Builds And Sells Crate Motors Might Know What It Needs.

No Misprint. I Called Them And Was Told They Were Trying To Build A High Torque Gas Friendly Engine. I Guess That Should Answer All Questions.

The Information I Got Was Not From Mopar Muscle Car Editors. It Was A Add For A Indy Crate Motor. I Just Thought That A Co That Builds And Sells Crate Motors Might Know What It Needs.

From what i've seen Indy makes some nice stuff,but that doesn't mean they know how to get it to work best...

From what i've seen Indy makes some nice stuff,but that doesn't mean they know how to get it to work best...

Or use it to a better and greater potentail.

I'm not knockin Indy with that statment. I don't mind a purchase of equipment or engine with room to grow, but in all honest feelings, a 600 cfm carb????

(Did I miss the cam specs on that engine?)

-
Back