Carb Squirter Question

-

jefflock

69 Dart 408 10.08 best pass so far
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
If you a hesitation when you quickly open up your carb do you need a larger or smaller squirter? 750 quick Fuel DP carb.

If you a hesitation when you quickly open up your carb do you need a larger or smaller squirter? 750 quick Fuel DP carb.

If it initially hesitates and then picks up you need to enlarge the squirter, if it goes and then falls on it's face you need smaller squirters.
Before messing with the squirters make sure there are no vacuum leaks and your initial timing is good.
It cold be slack in the pump linkage too.

also check your timing...

make sure the squirter squirts as soon as you move the throttle ..

It was running pig rich at idle (you know black smoke at the tail pipes) so I dropped the jets down from 74's to 72's. Now not near as rich. I can adjust the air mixture valves and it seems to help but it goes back to bad rich.

It was running pig rich at idle (you know black smoke at the tail pipes) so I dropped the jets down from 74's to 72's. Now not near as rich. I can adjust the air mixture valves and it seems to help but it goes back to bad rich.

Main jets should have no affect on the idle mixture.
Check the float levels and make sure the inlet needles are sealing and the carb isn't flooding.

Main jets should have no affect on the idle mixture.
Check the float levels and make sure the inlet needles are sealing and the carb isn't flooding.

ditto. fuel level should be at bottom of sight window at idle or if you have the carb apart, invert the bowl and adjust (tighten) the seat nut to allow a pencil between float and bowl (bottom as looking at it). This is the most important adjustment on a holley design as everything depends on a stable quality idle. smaller jet will extend duration of shot, larger jet will shorten duration but richen shot. Also the pump arm should be off the lever by 1/8 turn, it shouldn't touch or it may bleed fuel into the shooters when the motor shakes.

-
Back