Carb Swap?

-

mopar_1974

Reaction score
Hey guys. debating on a new carb. Here is the dyno sheet from my motor before i bought it as a long block. LA 360. Since, I have swapped the holley strip dominator with an Eddy performer intake. It has an Eddy 1406 on it now but i dont know if it's living up to its potential. Would it be wise swapping carbs with a different carb? Any suggestions on a different carb? Thanks guys.

Attachments

• 314_82571030003_6198_n.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 305
I would try an RPM style intake and a bigger carb Forsure. 1406 is a tad small for a healthy 360. I swapped from a 625cfm Street Demon to a Quick Fuel 750vs Slayer and it was night and day. I'm selling my Quick Fuel if your interested, PM me or check it out in the classifieds mechanical section, my ad is there.

I'd try a 750 vacuum secondary or a 650 mech secondary I get you'd be pleasantly surprised. An RPM or air gap style intake made a huge diff on my 360 too after changing out the factory cast iron 4bbl intake.

I would love an Air Gap but I need an intake with an offcenter thermostat to clear my A/C on my truck and I had the performer lying around. Might be interested in the QF. Haven't heard of QF before though. Gonna have to do some reading up I guess. I've got 3 carbs and 2 intakes lying around. Perhaps I should start selling.

If you are looking for a new carburetor, I would suggest getting a quick fuel super street series 680cfm vaccum secondary carburetor. They have billet metering blocks and billet base plate's. They have changeable idle feed restictors and changeable idle air bleeds and changeable high speed bleeds. They also have changeable power valve channel restrictors. They have Teflon throttle shaft bushings, notched secondary floats and jet extensions on the secondary side.
I have one of these carburetors and when it comes to tuning, it's un-limited. You can tune these carburetors to run pretty darn good. They are pretty expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Get an air gap and modify the AC bracket or get a different one. That motor makes enough power to justify it. A 770 Street Avenger would be good too.

I'd go with a 1" open spacer and a 750 carb. I like Double pumpers, but a good well thought out VS carb would do well.

Performer 318/360 intake isn't a slouch when set up well. The RPM and Air Gap are a bit better.

Don't know the cam, but, I'd guess it's in the mid 230's at .050. XE284 or something like that

I would look into one of Demon Sizzler's modded Thermo-Quads. PM him and ask a few questions and see if you like what he's got to say.

Thanks for the responses guys. 5 replys with 5 different carbs. Which tells me at least to get the carb off and choose something else. (At least that's what I think you're getting at?) Also, I forgot to add something. This motor is now in my 1984 W350 Ram, so the weight and gearing is quite a bit different from the duster. Probably should have mentioned that before. Does anyone know where to get an A/C adapter to run with an Air Gap?

the motor is .030 over with venola 8.5 to 1 compression. stock recon rods with arp bolts. the crank has been ckecked dont rememember if its turned. clevite bearings through the whole thing. it has a windage tray and milodon pan. the heads are ported 915 j series with 1.88 int 1.69 exh comp springs and retainers. it has a custom solid lift cam from comp.520 int .540 exh lift with 1.5 rocker. dur @ .050 is 244 int 252 exh 110 lobe seperation. valve adj .016 int .018 exh.the intake is a holley strip dominator

All according to Dane (7172duster)

XS282s. good cam.

Static compression is kind of low for the cam. Runs pretty well.

With a 750 I bet it picks a a bit of HP/TQ over the 600 that's on it. Run a DP or a Vac Secondary, vac might be better with the heavy truck.

I have the same cam in my 360 with 11.25. Your kind of mismatched low compression with a bigger cam and a race type intake. I have that intake on mine and lost some performance over the torqued II I had on there. If you really want a single I have my torquer intake for sale it has the a/c provision I think. Otherwise for a heavy truck like that I would go duel plane and keep a smallish carb around 650 dp or vacuum

-
Back