Carburetor adjustment help

-

MLC Dodge

Reaction score
Installed a reman carb and the 74 Duster runs good again. However, on first start up, it revs real high until I kick the throttle, then it comes back down to idle. How do I adjust the fast idle setting?

What make and model of carb, then someone could answer this question.

It is The choke that you need to adjust. But it sounds like its doing it's job. When you start the motor while it's cold, the choke will remain closed and the idle will be high until the engine is warm. Wait. Do you have an electric choke or a manual choke? This makes a difference. From what you're describing it sounds like you have an electric choke. There is nothIng wrong with you carburetor. It is just trying to keep you motor from stalling out while it warms up. My Holley 390 cfm electric choke carburetor dOes the same thing. It's brand new.

It is The choke that you need to adjust. But it sounds like its doing it's job. When you start the motor while it's cold, the choke will remain closed and the idle will be high until the engine is warm. Wait. Do you have an electric choke or a manual choke? This makes a difference. From what you're describing it sounds like you have an electric choke. There is nothIng wrong with you carburetor. It is just trying to keep you motor from stalling out while it warms up. My Holley 390 cfm electric choke carburetor dOes the same thing. It's brand new.

Ah....You know he asked how to adjust the fast idle right ?

Do a Google search for "How to adjust fast idle Holley 1945".
You will get a bunch of hits.

There's a screw on the bottom right of the carburetor. That is your idle screw. Right turn is higher rpm left is to decrease the curb idle.

There's a screw on the bottom right of the carburetor. That is your idle screw. Right turn is higher rpm left is to decrease the curb idle.

Read......:study:
He's not asking how to adjust idle. He's asking how to adjust the fast idle cam !!

With a cold engine.

Remove air cleaner and disconnect vacuum lines.
Cap all carburetor vacuum fittings.

With engine off,transmission in neutral,parking brake set,open the throttle and close the choke.

Close the throttle.This will place the fast idle speed screw on the highest step.

Move the fast idle cam untill the screw drops to the second highest speed step.

Start the engine and stabilize the engine speed. Rotate the idle speed screw to obtain the specific RPM.

Johnny dart, all you have to do is answer the guys question. If you know the answer, then answer it! No need to be an ***. Maybe you weren't raised by decent folks, but where I come from that's called rude.

Johnny dart, all you have to do is answer the guys question. If you know the answer, then answer it! No need to be an ***. Maybe you weren't raised by decent folks, but where I come from that's called rude.

I did answer the question punk ***....You want to talk about my parents,say it to my face. Be ready to pick your teeth up off the ground.

To the original poster,
Sorry for the "Rookie Nut Swingers" clogging up your post. You will find that you have to"weed"your way through them at times, because they are clueless.
Hopefully my info helps you out.

-
Back