Carburetor Clear Coat?

-

WARFARE

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if they have clear coated a carb before? Did it last?

I just had my Carb rebuilt and it looks like new. Carb guy said I should clearcoat it with a hi-temp clear if I wanted it to stay new looking. Just not sure how it would stand up to any gas leaks. Thought I would use some VHT Header paint, # CSP115 Satin Clear.

Thanks for the help.

Patrick

You better be able to keep the paint from clogging the air bleeds etc...

There are few paints that could live on a carburetor. Maybe a 2-part urethane?
I could see powdercoating a carb. Masking off the internals would be critical, and probably beyond the scope of what most powdercoaters are used to doing.

Maybe just rinse it with brake cleaner regularly. Blistering paint always looks worse than no paint. Like they say about wooden fences, decks or cement porches, "If you ever paint it once, you'll paint it again and again".

There are few paints that could live on a carburetor. Maybe a 2-part urethane?
I could see powdercoating a carb. Masking off the internals would be critical, and probably beyond the scope of what most powdercoaters are used to doing.

There is one powder coater that could do it, and her boyfriend is a good with carbs.

We all know Cudachick1968 does fantastic work and great quality. She's a vendor here and supports this site.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/member.php?u=641

Hit the "about me" button on the above link to get her contact information if you are interested.

I personally would never put any kind of coating on a carburetor. I have seen painted and cleared carbs, after about 6 months they start to flake, peel and turn yellow. I suppose powder coating may last longer, but I still wouldn't do it unless you drive the car twice a year. that's just me and my 2 cents

-
Back