Carburetor Guru needed!

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
Okay my 1967 Barracuda 383 install is completed, and the power and torque makes all my B-body swaps boring, but i have a problem. I've rebuilt lots of 1 bbl and 2 bbl carbs and ony a few 4 bbl carbs, so therefore i need some guidance. the car goes like hell feeding the throttle firmly, but if i hammer it to the floor quickly, i get nosedive, pop and maybe a stall. i've set the float level, the float drop, cleaned the carb throughly, prior to putting in the kit with new needle and seats, gaskets, and accelerator pump. could the secondaries be opening to soon? appreciate all suggestions. Thanks Gerry

Some more info on the restr of the build might help. Auto, straight shift, converter, gear...cam and so on. Obviously it's encountering a lean condition upon immediate secondary opening. Possibly a loose secondary spring.

the motor is straight out of a 1970 dodge 383 N code 727 with 80,000 miles and 145 compression all around and when i did the carb kit i didn't alter the settings other than make sure the floats were at the correct levels. thanks Gerry

Sounds like it has NO pump shot.

An AVS can do that for several reasons, no pump shot (easy to check), too loose secondary air valve spring (harder to check, but easy to test), vacuum advance operating incorrectly, other distributor issues, etc.

I would say bad or weak secondary spring: but make sure that the acc pump is set! than if that dose not work make sure that the vac advance is sucking at the carb: ive seen them get pluged up before with it doing on two cars!!!!!! ? hope this helps Paul

hey guys thanks for all the input, i found a site on Google the carburetor shop. com which gives an excellant trouble shooting guide, including the tips i got here. if the bogging is from idle its probably the acellerator pump, from cruise speed then the secondary springs or distributor, and lots more tips. thanks again guys Gerry

-
Back