Carburetor rebuilding

-

dave ellis

Reaction score
I'm going to start up an old hobby of rebuilding carburetors. I've been using Permatex foaming action gasket remover. Any idea on something cheaper to use, this stuff is quite expensive? Do you rely on your carburetor cleaner to remove excess gasket material that's tough to come off without a lot of scraping? I plan on using pinesol. The cleaner out there that EPA allows these days doesn't seem to do the job that they used to. Any tricks of the trade would be welcome. Thanks, Dave

if you get a carb that has any type of RTV, permatex etc that is that hard to remove that carb is probably FUBAR anyways.... those that know how to work on a carburetor the right way know that there is no place in a carb for that stuff.

Hi Dave, Pinesol and Simple Green work well but make aluminum dark and splotchy in my experience. An ultrasonic cleaner with clean water works really good. They are a fraction of the price of what they used to be.

Ultrasonic won't do squat to RTV or paper gaskets. I'd just soak it in distilled water overnight and the paper gasket material should come off easily. Berrymans will turn a gold carb Grey in no time. Not that knowledgeable on Carter cleaning but simple green is supposed to work pretty good and not discolor the aluminum short of tumble burnishing it with ceramic media in a tumbler.

Brake Parts Cleaner works well to desolve the Black Permatex Gasket Maker/Sealer.

Have to keep it wet for a while and help it along with a scraper and wire brush.

-
Back