Career choices and best way to start myself off

-

elitesrock2

Reaction score
Lately I've been thinking alot about how I want the rest of my life to go or where I truly want to end up. Being 19 going on 20 this july 26th I believe in my opinion now is the time to make real ground on answering my thoughts. Right now I've just started working at les schwab after leaving a car dealership as a Lube,Inspection,Pre delivery vehicle service tech due to issues with their ethics. I don't mind les schwab as they have decent pay rates and great benefits however I don't feel it's the right fit for me and I want to expand my knowledge and skills far past what I can there. I don't have a college background at the moment just a few years experience in workforce and having taken 3 years Autoshop and Metals class in high school of which were advanced and were held to high standards having stuff such as tig welders, stick and mig and also a cnc program, 3d printer the auto shop having over a dozen different complete engines, transmissions, axles and all that were disassembled and rebuilt. I also took a class of collision repair at a different school which i went to half way through the day.

In my mind my goals ultimately are to be like the big dogs and experience all the automotive industry has to offer like the guys on the tv shows (Jeff lutz, David freiburger, etc the real enthusiasts). It may sound cliche to want to do such things but 99% of the people say it but never show the true desire to go out and accomplish. I have the desire I just don't know how to start. This site has alot of people from many different backgrounds that have been through the ropes and know what it takes and I want to know what you people have done to be successful. Let me know your experiences and maybe some knowledge you wish you would've had at my age to help out a millenial that actually wants to do something with their life vs the 99% that bury their heads in the sand and ask for a $15 minimum wage so they can work at mcdonalds for the rest of their lives.

I spent most of my life in a bodyshop from age 14 after school. Started as floor sweeper then graduated to bathroom cleaner. Earned that apprenticeship. Paid my dues. Did some post secondary vo-tech(parents idea) after high school, but dropped out because I was much further advanced then what they were teaching. Later on other training through employment, BMW, Benz, Gm, I-car, paint school, and a few others. With that being said, in 30 plus years have seen quite a few kids come into the shop out of vo-tech schools, and don't take it the wrong way and I mean no disrespect. They all want to be on Tv, they all think they should be top dog, they all think they know everything, and all they say is we did it like this in school. Welcome to the real word. Keep your mind open because you can learn something from every person you work alongside and the shop you just walked into might do a different way. Walking in a shop you're the new guy, the young gun, and you have to earn the respect and trust of your employer and co-workers one step/job at a time. Do it right the first time and no comebacks because that cost's everybody money. There's politics, ethics, favorites in every shop. It's best not to get involved. Do your work, keep your head down, and go on to the next work order. The ones that stirs the pot is usually the one that ends up going down the road and that decision is not always handed down from management. Get in over your head on a job and a shop full of guys will laugh as you suffer and die. Things don't always go as easy as class props that have been disassembled 100 times. Shop owners can be gunshy. Myself and another tech watched a vo-tech grad destroy an Audi on the frame machine. He wouldn't listen, and despite us telling him differently, was taught to pull everything square. Audi's are asymmetrical so he destroyed 2 frame rails and shocktowers in the process.

Work hard, act like your serious, build on your on the job skills and experience, build your toolbox, and build a resume that looks like you can stay somewhere for a while. When you feel you've learned as much as you can or stagnated then bounce.
Tv, Most of those guys already had established businesses of their own, the right connections, capitol, being in the right place at the right time, and a fair amount of luck before they were a TV star. Taking guitar lessons doesn't make for a rock star.

Last edited:
A smokin good post by GeorgeH.

While I am very far away from a TV car guy, my story and advice could hold some value to you. Again, I have to say, what a smokin good post by GeorgeH. Read that again!

While I have no fame, fortune or big stable of rare cars, what I was doing and did back in the day was constantly tinker. Still do it today @ 51.

I tinkered all the time. Changing cams out just to see how it reacts. It had a lot of intake manifolds to try out with that cam. And many carbs to... again, try out with tha cam. I collected a wide verity of parts. The club and locals started to take notice.

Around my house, I ended up becoming the fix it guy. Neighborhood cars got done during the day, hot rods at night.

More time rolls by and I'm working on local hot rodders cars. Then some race cars. They would send there (know nothing but wanna go fast or at least sound bad ***) friends over and next thing I know... I'm in biz. Charge them fairly, never bullshit them, take care of them well. They'll come back to have you do more work. They'll tell there friends. You'll get busy!

If you want to stay on the hot rod & custom work side of things, you make that effort. And you also do this with your own car at every show and the race tracks.

I never ever advertised in a news paper, TV or other such means, but yet the came! Word of mouth is a strong thing so make sure you do it once and right!

Some of my regular customers I'd do little favors. Free oil change. Fix a small item, get a light working, tighten an exhaust clamp, free. Just tell'em you did it.

When I was wrenching, I kept it simple and actually turned down work when I knew it was a bit more than my driveway or myself could handle. I also would tell customers straight forward that I was unsure of a particular thing and told them, "If I don't fix it, then you don't pay."

Never a had a customer come back due to a screw up. I made good money. Made a lot of contacts. Got discounts at the auto parts stores, built a couple of cars to show case mod's and go fast. It was a real good time of life.

A smokin good post by GeorgeH.

While I am very far away from a TV car guy, my story and advice could hold some value to you. Again, I have to say, what a smokin good post by GeorgeH. Read that again!

While I have no fame, fortune or big stable of rare cars, what I was doing and did back in the day was constantly tinker. Still do it today @ 51.

I tinkered all the time. Changing cams out just to see how it reacts. It had a lot of intake manifolds to try out with that cam. And many carbs to... again, try out with tha cam. I collected a wide verity of parts. The club and locals started to take notice.

Around my house, I ended up becoming the fix it guy. Neighborhood cars got done during the day, hot rods at night.

More time rolls by and I'm working on local hot rodders cars. Then some race cars. They would send there (know nothing but wanna go fast or at least sound bad ***) friends over and next thing I know... I'm in biz. Charge them fairly, never bullshit them, take care of them well. They'll come back to have you do more work. They'll tell there friends. You'll get busy!

If you want to stay on the hot rod & custom work side of things, you make that effort. And you also do this with your own car at every show and the race tracks.

I never ever advertised in a news paper, TV or other such means, but yet the came! Word of mouth is a strong thing so make sure you do it once and right!

Some of my regular customers I'd do little favors. Free oil change. Fix a small item, get a light working, tighten an exhaust clamp, free. Just tell'em you did it.

When I was wrenching, I kept it simple and actually turned down work when I knew it was a bit more than my driveway or myself could handle. I also would tell customers straight forward that I was unsure of a particular thing and told them, "If I don't fix it, then you don't pay."

Never a had a customer come back due to a screw up. I made good money. Made a lot of contacts. Got discounts at the auto parts stores, built a couple of cars to show case mod's and go fast. It was a real good time of life.
Good post there as well. I hope the kid doesn't think I'm trying to crush his dreams. Not my intention.

I have never been at at a want for work. Whether I'm doing their brakes or paint and body I try and do the best job I can for a fair price. Everybody's happy.

When I was a kid I discovered I really loved music. I listened to music all the time and eventually I wanted to learn how to make music myself. So I bought a cheap guitar and played that thing whenever I could. I even fell asleep playing it at night. I sucked in the beginning, but that did not stop me from playing and having fun. I soon played in bands with friends and we never did covers. We tried to write our own music. We sucked too, but at least we did our own thing and eventually we got better. Fast forward 22 years. I have toured the world, recorded 12 albums, made videos that have been shown on MTV, played on tv shows, radio shows. Played huge festivals all over the world. I have never sold out, always stayed true to myself and always written the music I want to. I now have artistic freedom to do pretty much anything I like, my record label trusts me. The thing is, I started out on this journey just because I loved music so much, that was the only reason. My goal was never even a career playing music. But it became a career in the end. I think that if you do something for the right reasons, and you do so with integrity, and you keep at it, put in the hours eventually you could end up successful.

When I was a kid I discovered I really loved music. I listened to music all the time and eventually I wanted to learn how to make music myself. So I bought a cheap guitar and played that thing whenever I could. I even fell asleep playing it at night. I sucked in the beginning, but that did not stop me from playing and having fun. I soon played in bands with friends and we never did covers. We tried to write our own music. We sucked too, but at least we did our own thing and eventually we got better. Fast forward 22 years. I have toured the world, recorded 12 albums, made videos that have been shown on MTV, played on tv shows, radio shows. Played huge festivals all over the world. I have never sold out, always stayed true to myself and always written the music I want to. I now have artistic freedom to do pretty much anything I like, my record label trusts me. The thing is, I started out on this journey just because I loved music so much, that was the only reason. My goal was never even a career playing music. But it became a career in the end. I think that if you do something for the right reasons, and you do so with integrity, and you keep at it, put in the hours eventually you could end up successful.
Hard work and perseverance! Who are you? lol

Being on TV in the automotive world, that's a lofty goal, but one that can be attained. I am a vet and one thing I will say that the military will teach is how to achieve goals. Some people tell themselves "Ill never do that" but with the right training, and knowing yourself and your skills, you will find yourself figuring out how to "get it done". The auto business, for the most part starts out with you as the mechanic or body technician. You basically build your reputation on your work. If you want to end up on TV, start at the local level and build your rep, with the internet and Youtube, you can reach many people. If restoration is your thing, document your body/paint jobs and put them out there for people to see. If your work is good, people will ship their car to you from all over the world.

Good mention! Stay true to yourself and goals! If your honestly into it, you'll go places.

Im not as seasoned as a couple of these fellows (Im only 46) but the advice given is solid. I can only add, is to hone your skill on what you have (old or late model car) but keep your eyes on the future. The reality of a projected 9 billion people on the planet by 2050 puts transportation in a different light. Be it self driving or electric cars, be aware of whats next so you are the one working smart in the shop, the one that has some knowledge in his back pocket.

But pretty much what George said will get you there. Stay sharp. Think about what you are doing, but open to whats next.

I have spent my time in automotive, now retired, well somewhat, I do my own work, but side jobs are always the worst. it gets old around age 40. If you have your own business I imagine its not so bad, but age 40 is about retirement from the flat rate side of things, if you don't get out by then, you are trapped for life.

In today's market, you need to be motivated, driven, and find a niche. You're young, so building a reputation is key, to building a career, a business, or whatever you're after. Don't go into it wanting to be on TV, you'll be setting yourself up, for a huge letdown. A desire to excel will take you much farther.

In today's market, you need to be motivated, driven, and find a niche. You're young, so building a reputation is key, to building a career, a business, or whatever you're after. Don't go into it wanting to be on TV, you'll be setting yourself up, for a huge letdown. A desire to excel will take you much farther.
But getting a BAD reputation is easier. All good advice. BUILD your tool box. You sure don't want to ask to borrow anything, not being new.

with all being said above, If I got to do it over, I would be an underwater welder. Join the navy, get underwater training, then learn the underwater welding trade. You learn that, the world is your oyster!!

If college isn't in the cards (which is fine if it isn't, it wasn't for me, I could write a novella about this), I would strongly suggest looking to get in a trade. I can't recommend it enough. Welder, pipe fitter, electrician, etc.

If I could start all over again, I'd join the navy and use them to teach me a trade or some sort of specialization.

with all being said above, If I got to do it over, I would be an underwater welder. Join the navy, get underwater training, then learn the underwater welding trade. You learn that, the world is your oyster!!
Or a helicopter pilot. Big demand in the oil business.

Man, talk about a niche for yourself. My neighbor was talking about a friend of his just the other day who does this and as you said "the world is his oyster.)

OP, it kind of goes like this. Whatever you end up doing, try to do your best and take each and every part of your task as a life challenge and everything will work out great. By nature I am what you would call a Creator. Well, alot of what I do in my job outside of Maintenance is take a project and make it a manufacturing process which requires a bunch of open mind processing and thinking outside the box. When I am in the zone it is literally a rush. And yet a creator is considered artsy fartsy per say.

You have heard lots of guys chime in and they are all great responses. Something else to keep in mind is having a great career allows you flexibility in life and disposable income to play in the car hobby world. You really need to do a gut check and see what interest you and have a natural talent for all at the same time. The one thing I can tell you that I see everyday is your generation typically wants to sit in front of a computer so if you like using your hands I hope you stick with that interest and do the world some good.....

Lastly, your potential to accelerate in a career has alot to do with confidence. Some may snarl at that but having trained and worked with so many people they all have been so unique it's the ones with confidence in their ability that helped them stand above the rest. If you lack some of that take up Marital Arts and it will build that up. As I always say know your target and hit your mark......

Good luck,
JW

I'm high school educated. 1 yr tech degree for medical assisting....i start school this month for Xray... the race is hopefully long.. stay healthy... have fun....

Windmill technicians get PAID! Dangerous job though.

Or a helicopter pilot. Big demand in the oil business.
Helicopter pilot or mechanic off shore pays well, especially overseas. BUT, when gas /oil prices are low like they are now, jobs follow. I went from making 6 figures to half of that. still good but oil is a cycle, never a level constant. just have to know it goes boom to bust. But still would not trade it for anything, love the work you do and it is not work.

My advice is to stay focused on one thing and become the best you can at it. It's very difficult to be an expert at many different things. The old saying "Jack of all trades, Master of none" holds true. Granted, its fun learning and experiencing many different things, but you can't Master more than one!!

-
Back