Carnage!!!!

-

Muad'Dib15

Reaction score
number3cylinder_zps17f801be.jpg

intake rocker for cylinder 3

number6cylinder_zps5a769f98.jpg

intake rocker for cylinder 6

Sooooo, anyone want to tell me where I can get a new set of rockers.

Looks like somebody(pushrod) hasn't been playing nice with others!
What type are you looking for? Stock stamped, used, or are you upgrading?

What carnage? A I see is the typical rocker failure which can be fixed with a trip to the MP store for a new set of rockers under $100 or a step up to Hughesengines rose rockers @ $450 or so.

I had that happen to me twice. One time I had the lifter pop out and lost oil pressure. THAT was enough for me to make me replace the lifters and rockers with rollers.

Chevies do this as well. Usually solid lifter cams,(Chevs),over revving,the main problems.

The stock rockers caint take a lotta spring pressure. I would upgrade the paddle rockers.

What surprised me is how long I drove the car without figuring this out. Probably wasn't for more than a couple days or so.

I think I'll just go with the roller rockers like I wanted in the first place especially after finding out that the rockers don't hold up well to higher spring pressures, which I'm pretty sure I have considering I'm running a 60403 cam. Have been considering the Hughes, but they recently upped their prices to $550.

That happened to me about 15 years ago. I walked into the auto parts store holding the push rod with the rocker on it and told them "I need one of these"

That is pretty common. But the first time it happens and especially when it kicks the lifter out of the hole and your oil pressure zero! Scares the crap out of ya. Wondering what the hell happened.

Never had this happen to a Chrysler before, but managed it with a 327 once. Nothing compared to what happened to my over-revved 352 when the cam snapped.

I've got a couple of rocker arms you can have if you'd like to pay for shipping, although, you may end up doing it again unless something else changes.

If you have your heart set on stamped steel , they make a HD set that is thicker material and is supposed to hold up to elevated spring pressures.
In my opinion , roller is the answer to almost any rocker arm question though.

Normal problem, my little brothers 318 in his ramcharger did that to a few rockers....

With the lower cost of good quality roller rockers, there is no reason not to upgrade.

Normal problem, my little brothers 318 in his ramcharger did that to a few rockers....
That's NOT carnage.LOL 40yrs ago stock 340's were showing up with that issue. Adding " roller rockers" is NOT the answer but a whole nother issue.

I had a '69 Coronet with a high mileage 318 do this about 20 years ago, i thought that the timing chain skipped a tooth.
I was able to drive it home 10 miles and it had popped 3 push rods through the rockers just the same as pictured.
I didn't fix it, the engine was worn out anyway lol.

That's NOT carnage.LOL 40yrs ago stock 340's were showing up with that issue. Adding " roller rockers" is NOT the answer but a whole nother issue.

What do you mean? I thought that putting rockers that were supposed to be stronger and have a higher tolerance for spring pressures was a good thing. That and rollers have less friction resistance than the stamped steel ones. Maybe not much, but some.

If you have your heart set on stamped steel , they make a HD set that is thicker material and is supposed to hold up to elevated spring pressures.
In my opinion , roller is the answer to almost any rocker arm question though.

Wasn't planning on having the stamped steel ones in for very long. I've wanted rollers on it since I first rebuilt the engine.

Oh yeah, Hughes is still 500. my bad.

I've seen rocker shafts snap in half upon removal. but never this.

Perhaps I've led a sheltered mopar life thus far?

Nah. This is "normal"...lol. Not really carnage. You see this on stock engines just as much as modified ones...lol. This is the exact failure that caused the MP "thick" walled stamped rockers to be created.

Why not 273 adjustables?

I have a couple sets if you are looking for a tougher rocker.

-
Back