carpet installation

-

Dart_Guy

Reaction score
I am putting in new carpet that I got from Legendary Auto.

My car was originally a 4 speed and has the tunnel for a 4-speed. However is has an auto 727 in it. I intend to go back to a 4-speed as soon as I can get one. The carpet I bought is 4-speed freindly.

The question is, do I need to wait for the 4-speed to install the carpet due to hole locations. Or is the hole in the tunnel the same. I guess I can tear the carpet back and check but I an not quite there yet...

Her is the front seat re-upholstered

A before, during and after shot. For those of you with the keen eye... They are from a '67 barrucuda. The pic does not have the metal back and sides put back on yet. I need to work on those yet.

I may get them fixed up and try to swap for some Dart seats down the road. Just to be closer to original. The guy I bought it from wanted everything red and got his hands on a wrecked 67 cuda. I am keeping the cuda stuff to keep costs down for now. I do have red door panales and kick panesl if anyone needs them.

DSCN5895.jpg

DSCN5899.jpg

DSCN5905.jpg

Thanks! First time I ever did anything like it and it turned out better then I thought it would. It was also easier then I thought it would be. Of course my buddy was there to help pull it tight while I simply put the hog hooks on. By myself I would probably have a different atitude...

Thanks! First time I ever did anything like it and it turned out better then I thought it would. It was also easier then I thought it would be. Of course my buddy was there to help pull it tight while I simply put the hog hooks on. By myself I would probably have a different atitude...

Oh with two people you can make short work of it. It`s good to have friends that you can count on to help. It is a bear trying to install those solo. Legendary makes good quality covers and when installed properly look like the real deal. When it comes to doing the carpet your friend can help as well. The moldings in the carpet will govern where it lays but a can of spray adhesive will help it stay in place. Good luck.

My vote is not to put a hole in the carpet until it is needed. Once the floor shift tunnel bump is installed, you will know how it will affect everything else.

I used to drive myself crazy with the holes needed in carpet. A buddy suggested that I put the carpet in, then climb under the car with a cheap pencil type soldering iron to burn the hole in from underneath. I enlarge the seat belt bolt holes from topside to keep carpet out of the threads.

The 2 carpets (4-spd/auto) should have different "Hump" patterns,and different hole patterns.
I would wait untill the 4-spd is ready to install the carpet.

The hump is already there just need to confirm the location once I get the 4-speed. (the car was a 4-speed converted to an auto) I am going to tear the carpet out this weekend to see where the original holes were and to see what they did. This car is plagued with shortcuts, so lord only knows what I will find.

I am looking at a 4 speed tonight, if I get it I will have a better idea of how to cut the carpet.

But I am waiting unitl I know for sure what is going on. the carpet was a good price but not good enough to chance it.

And thanks for the compliment on the seat! I find myself staring at it jsut waiting to put it back in. And I am hoping the back seats turn out just as good. Need to loacte some foam first...

-
Back