cars shakes

-

plymouthgerm

Reaction score
hey guys i have a 1972 plymouth scamp and it shakes at about 60 - 70 mph what should i be looking at fixing

first thing to have checked is your wheels and tires for balancing or bent wheels, then if that's not it then check your universals being loose or worn out bearings, if they check out ok then the next I would check is the drive shaft itself for balancing problems. And while under there check trans mount be sure it isn't broken or gone! I have had the dang things fall out lol. Could also be an axle bent from hitting curbs so do the process of elimination to narrow it down. Good luck! We hate the shakes!!! OH a Good way to check the wheels being bent or an axle is simply block the front tires and jack the cars rear end up off the ground and have someone help you to put the car into gear and watch the wheels go around to see if they wobble or make weird noises.

Automatic/ stick? Make any difference with clutch disengaged or coasting in neutral?

Tires and wheels would be my first thought. Jack it up and rotate the tires, check for wobble, true. Check lug nuts are tight and are correct ones.

If your idler arm is worn out you will feel a shake in the wheel and sometimes the whole car.

X3 on tires and tire balance. I've had tires with separations and bubbles in them do weird stuff.

I would start at the tires also. I have seen cars shake because water got in the tires. I'll rule out ice on the wheels since you are in Fl.

could be a lot of things... take it in for an alignment/inspection & tire balance

if you cant do that you need to get it on a lift and check everything underneath yourself.
you would need to download the chassis service manual from mymopars and follow the book

it can be done without a lift but will take much longer

If your idler arm is worn out you will feel a shake in the wheel and sometimes the whole car.

That was problem with mine when I first got it. Everything shook over 55mph. Easy to check.

Jack up the right wheel and leave the left on the ground. Use a jack stand under the car for safety.

Grab the wheel on both sides and turn it back and forth as though you're trying to turn the steering at the wheel. If the idler is bad it will have play in it with the left tire firmly planted on the ground.

While you move the tire back and forth, look behind the wheel at the idler arm. If it's bad at the pivot point, you will see the entire idler arm bobbing up and down with the center link and tie rod end following it up and down.

-
Back