Carter 383 2bbl for SL6

-

/sixchall

Reaction score
excuse me gang, happen to be moving things around in my garage. I ran across a 2bbl carb for a 361 or 383, not sure of the CFM's ,but I was looking at the base and wondering could this carb adapt to the SL6, say on a Super Six intake or maybe on an Offenhauser manifold. Mind you just curious. What say you O'knowledgeable ones.

Sure, the Carter BBD is what they used on the super six -- it will bolt up to the manifold. But the jetting is probably going to be a little aggressive. The standard 273/318 Carter is probably going to work better. You can get a Chinese clone brand new on eBay for $110 -- I'd say bolt it up and go, except you need to roll your own throttle cable and kick down...

image.png
MVH......thanks for the reply to my querie on the Carter two throat for the Super Six. Currently I am running a factory cast iron Super Six w/ an OEM carter 2bbl for a 318, I purchased from a guy in Kansas for $120. He bought from a military auction. I believe CFM's on it are 280, runs just fine. The 2bbl I have, that I found is the Carter OEM 2bbl carb for the 361 and 383 engines. Looks like a 4 bbl as you look down at carb from air horn down, but a 2bbl from the side. I also have an OEM factory SL6 aluminum 2bbl intake manifold.

Measure the diameter of the throttle bores on the bottom side. Typically larger engines were bigger, at least on 4 barrel carbs. It may be 1/16 or 1/8 larger than a comparable 318 carb. That would probably be good for a hot 6. I have no idea if jets and other bits are available for the Carter deuces.

I bought a super six cast iron intake at Carlisle last week and previously got a 318 BBD so I'll be going down that road.

Maybe I'll write a song...Single deuce and a 3 speed and a two twenty-fivvvvve

Thanks Kosmic, good idea, duh, measure the throttle bores of course. Well instead of pulling the Carter off the engine now to do this I will measure the throttle bores on a 2bbl Holley that I swap back and forth on the engine. Maybe this will work, unlike your song your gonna write, how about something from Willie Nelson, you know, "On the road again with a 2-2-5, On the road again" LOL.
Take care Kosmic.

No, the 1-1/2" BBD used on the big V8s is not a drop-on for the 1-1/4" BBD used on the small V8s and the 2bbl Slant-6 engines. Also, big 2bbl on small engine = poor driveability and fuel economy. This carb isn't the right tool for the job.

No, the 1-1/2" BBD used on the big V8s is not a drop-on for the 1-1/4" BBD used on the small V8s and the 2bbl Slant-6 engines. Also, big 2bbl on small engine = poor driveability and fuel economy. This carb isn't the right tool for the job.
I'm not positive, but I think the big block BBD carb has a different bolt pattern, then the small block/six carb.

The 2 barrels from the 360/361/383/400 are a different bolt pattern and WILL NOT bolt onto the slant six manifold.

Those larger carbs won't bolt on, but they should!
They average right around 375 cfm, are dirt cheap and easy to find. In my opinion, with the right jetting they are the PERFECT choice for a mildly modified Slant.
For the time, effort and cash people sink into their 390 Holley's, you could fab an adapter, set up the carb, and probably have enough left over for a set of headers.

-
Back