Carter 4640SA Date Code Question

-

mcodecuda

Reaction score
I have a Carter 4640SA AVS for a 69 440 with a date code of D1. I was under the impression that the number after the letter was for the year of manufacture. If that’s the case why would Carter be making a carburetor for a 1969 Chrysler vehicle in 1971?

From Mike's Carb parts website.
That carb is listed as 69-71. So 71 date makes total sense.

Screenshot_20240614_201624_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you are using it for a 69 Cuda or Dart M-Code the correct carb would be a 4618S...

Why is it wrong? Maybe not assembly line correct to a 69 car, but from what the OP posted. It was produced by Carter for a 69-71 car.
If it's a 69 car with a 71 carburetor? If the date code reads like Murray was talkin about. Also the SA suffix like HemiSSDart said. The SA is aftermarket, like the old Carter Competition carburetors.

But it's a 69-71 carb. Not aftermarket, it's over the counter. No different than me going to Dodge store and buying a diff gear set today for my 17 Ram.
Now if he wants a correct date code for 69, that's different.
If it's a 69 car with a 71 carburetor? If the date code reads like Murray was talkin about. Also the SA suffix like HemiSSDart said. The SA is aftermarket, like the old Carter Competition carburetors.

It is a 69 440 HP automatic carb for B and C Body cars with and without AC. One of the best carbs ever made. The date code is April 1971 when it was manufactured. "S" means it is an assembly. "A" means it has been revised once.

It is a 69 440 HP automatic carb for B and C Body cars with and without AC. One of the best carbs ever made. The date code is April 1971 when it was manufactured. "S" means it is an assembly. "A" means it has been revised once.
I’m leaning towards the idea that the “SA” is an “over the counter replacement”. I have six 1969 carbs stamped “SA” and the build dates (years) are all over the place plus I have a few 1968 carbs with just an “S” that were stamped with an “8” indicating that they were built in 1968.

No idea when the revision was made could be anytime.
If the “A” stood for a revision you would expect to see some marked with a “B” which I have never seen and I’ve owned 30 or more AVS’s over the last 30 years.

Simple answer is that carb numbers with an "S" on them are factory original, carbs with "SA" are later built over the counter...

Early production carbs different idle circuit all had plain s numbers. Added A indicates revsion, new idle circuit. Runing production change mid year ,check dates on carter list.

1969 first page.jpg

-
Back