Carter 650 avs rebuild kit....?

-

Chryslerkid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm trying to find a Carter AVS rebuild kit and I am not sure where to look. Everywhere I only see the Carter AFB and I'm not sure if it will also work for my Carter avs...? Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks guys.

I just want a stock rebuild for this carburetor before I bolt it on my 318 build.

How much was napa's kit? I am trying not to spend too much money on shipping. So I am looking for a more local option. Thanks y'all

You should be able to take the carb no and order a kit that way. Should be no question whether it fits. Should be stamped, usually on the mounting ear, a 4 digit no. ending in S usually

Mancini has them but their $39.99. Item# HYG446B
I bought thier Item# HYG224D for an AFB and had a friend install it he said it was a complete kit. for some reason the AFB kit is cheaper $32.95

Hmm ok. Does the napa kit come with floats also or is that extra? E8 4635s

Does anyone have a part number? I just got off the phone with a napa auto and a local performance part shop and both of the stores do not seem like they know what they're talking about....?

I just tried Mancini they're closed for the day. I'll try em tomorrow. I got an old part number from a local shop that told me the kits were discontinued. The part number he gave me was 902-265A. Don't know if that was correct or not. Dang man. Just trying to rebuild my carburetor. Can't a guy catch a break? Haha!

The NAPA part number you want is 2-5457. That is a Echlin rebuild kit. The number is still good and is current. Go to a Napa website and type that part number in and it will pop up. I have that kit in my hand and it is for a 650 Carter AVS carb.

Thank you sir. Going to pick up the kit tomorrow morning. Would you guys recommend getting new floats while i have the carburetor torn apart?

Tore the carburetor down. I have to replace at least one seeing as how it has a huge hole in the side. Looks like it exploded or was in a drive by shooting. Weird. Anyways I guess that's that. Also I had to brake down the carburetor completely into all of it's pieces because this carburetor was dirty and old. Anyways I stripped the heads off of a few screws on the Venturi doors. Can I re tap the holes or should I replace the whole metal bar?

Does anyone know if I can use a Carter 625 AFB for my application? Stock 318 build with an intake and header....?

"Does anyone know if I can use a Carter 625 AFB for my application? Stock 318 build with an intake and header....? "

I had one on my old, basically stock 360 for years that would be fine IMO

The afb carburetor has an electric choke and the avs does not. that's the only reason I am considering it right now. Other than that, they don't make any difference to me. I am waiting on some floats from my auto parts guy today and then I'll put the Carter avs back together this afternoon. Thanks!

Does anyone know if I can use a Carter 625 AFB for my application? Stock 318 build with an intake and header....?

I have a 625 AFB on my mild 318. Weiand manifold, headers, unknown cam but it has a little rumpity-rump at idle. Bought a strip kit for the Eddy carb (comparable to Ed 1406) and used that to fine tune it. I down-loaded the EDDY carb manual from their site and printed it out (may not be there anymore but if you call their tech line, they will send it to you direct) The tuning chart included is easy to follow. A good starting point would be the stock jets and metering rods for a 1406.

When I check the plugs now, they are text-book-perfect color. It's slightly lean right now as I have a mild surge at some speeds. So yeah, do it.

68 cuda FB, 3.23 SG, 904, best of 14.77 right off the street.

Cool. I guess I'll be in good shape then. Did you need different linkage because of the carburetor setup for GM vehicles?

If it was setup for a GM I think you will need an adapter, not sure as both of the carbs I have used were purchased for a mopar, if I were you I would use the AFB since it has a choke much easier for a street car. IMO

That's what I think I'm going to do. I am going to rebuild the AVS and store it, while I use the afb 625 for my build. Im pretty sure that the aft is for a GM so I'll have to get that adapter for it. No biggie. Thanks y'all.

-
Back