carter afb dumping fuel out vent tubes .

-

stroker402

1968 dart GTS convertible
Reaction score
have a 273 commando engine with a afb 38523 that is shooting fuel out all the vent tubes . this just started today carb have ran real nice other wise. I took the top of carb off and cleaned and blew out the needle and seats , check the floats and levels , all looked fine . I didn't do anything with the main body of carb.
I thought right away that the fuel pump was pushing too much pressure , so I replace with a new stock oem since it needed one anyway .
So, Fire the engine up and is still shooting fuel out the vent tube. What gives? what do you guys think.
Going to install a eddy I have ready tomorrow .
Thanks !

Sounds like the floats may be compromised.

Did you check the floats to make sure they are not full of fuel?
I did notice that one float had a little dent in it. that could be the calprit . The thing is , it all worked great a day ago . I think it's time to go thru the carb again , check all the float measurements and check for floats filling up with gas and go from there.

After over 5 decades a lil dent is almost nothing.
How does it run before the fuel starts gushing?
Fill the bowls and Pinch the fuel line shut, then start her up. Gusher gone? The guys are right. Gusher not gone? Oh-Oh.How does it run?
Gusher not gone with fuel-line pinched, can only mean pressure pulses in the intake; highly unlikely.

Last edited:
After over 5 decades a lil dent is almost nothing.
How does it run before the fuel starts gushing?
Fill the bowls and Pinch the fuel line shut, then start her up. Gusher gone? The guys are right. Gusher not gone? Oh-Oh.How does it run?
Gusher not gone with fuel-line pinched, can only mean pressure pulses in the intake; highly unlikely.
I'll try that first before I rebuild . I'll let you know.

ok here we go . I pinched off the fuel line to the carb and the carb did not spit fuel out the vent tubes. So I went thru the carb and found one float 1/2 full of fuel . replaced it with spare carb parts , then rechecked the float levels all good, looked great . went to install , fired it up and same thing ,spraying fuel out the vent tubes. . so That was the last straw with that carb. Had nothing but troubles with it . so I dug up a afb 4131s . rebuilt it , installed it and it ran real nice no issues and this carb make the commando beasty! for sure.
I'll get into the dumping carb some other day or sell it. anyone recall what cfm this 4131s carb is?
Thanks for your help guys . Your the best !

Last edited:
I'm guessing 500
But those numbers are ratings,under LabTesting. What your engine might pull through it is anybody's guess,lol. Only a dyno will no for sure.

Congrats on the successful repairwork

ok here w we go . I pinched off the fuel line to the carb and the carb did not spit fuel out the vent tubes. So I went thru the carb and found one float 1/2 full of fuel . replaced it with spare carb parts , then rechecked the float levels all good, looked great . went to install , fired it up and same thing ,spraying fuel out the vent tubes. . so That was the last straw with that carb. Had nothing but troubles with it . so I dug up a afb 4131s . rebuilt it , installed it and it ran real nice no issues and this carb make the commando beasty! for sure.
I'll get into the dumping carb some other day or sell it. anyone recall was cfm this 4131s carb is?
Thanks for your help guys . Your the best !
Mine was doing the same thing. I just threw on an eddy

-
Back